Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you find ESL contract for ~3 months?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stone8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Can you find ESL contract for ~3 months? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to go to BA in mid-February as well. I have a friend that I'll be living with, but I'd love to meet up with some of you as well.

But my biggest concern is whether or not it will be difficult to find short term (3-4 months) teaching jobs at language schools there? I'm worried that they'll be looking for people that are staying 6 months or more?

Does anyone have any insights on this!? I just don't want to head down there with the expectation of finding a job and then go broke because no one wants someone that's only go to be there a few months!

Thanks for any help. Sincerely,
Suzy
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: unlikely Reply with quote

You'll have a very hard time getting a short term position. Two reasons..

First, most language schools sell and run programs that run longer than that amount of time. No one likes to switch teachers half-way through a program.

Second, competition for jobs is strong. A DOS often has two piles of resumes on his/her desk (figurative). One for those looking at long-term stays or who live in Argentina and those that are short term visitors. If he/she gets to the end of the long-term pile and still needs a teacher, then they go to the short term pile.

Still, you might luck out. Any chance you could stay longer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matttheboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like in many countries a lot of schools here expect that staff are going to move on pretty quickly. I've met quite a few people who left their jobs after a couple of months. This is part of the reason they don't give contracts and also part of the reason we, as teachers, so often get paid very little; schools think we're not worth the bother of paying well if we're just going to leave whenever we feel like it.

I don't think you'll have a problem finding work especially if you say that you'll be around for ' a few months at least, maybe more'....just make sure you're paid up to date before you leave and don't leave the school in the lurch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: