Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This may be a REALLY stupid question, but.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: This may be a REALLY stupid question, but..... Reply with quote

does anybody know why Dave separated the Korean forum from the rest of the Asian forums? I guess the answer is, duhhh....there's more traffic on the Korean forum and it needed its own additional space, but are there really that many more English teachers/interest in Korea? How come the China or Japan forum doesn't have its own "sell-buy" pages, or basic Q/A pages for example?
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...now don't everybody answer at once!!!!
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is more interest in Korea than any other specific location...a quick look at both forums show around 5100 people registered on the Korean Forum versus 13759 for the rest of the world combined. Thus, since 27% of registered users are interested in discussions relating to Korea, it does make since for them to have their own forum...I have a feeling that a China-only forum might be next.

Just my 2 cents,
Kirk
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

I did Korea for three years, and there were a LOT of teachers over there compared to China.

Example:

I am in a city of about a million people. No McDonald's, Starbucks or a subway. There are 3 or 4 foreigners here that I know of.

In contrast:

In the Korean city of Suwon (Just over one million) there is a subway line, many McDonald's, Burger Kings, and TONS and TONS of foreigners. Hundreds!
Big John Stud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Korea had it's own forum because more teacher wanted to complain about life in Korea!
S6218

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. How do I get there?
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Korean Job Forum link up at the top of the web page.Click on it and it'll take you there. You may get a box asking you if you want your computer enabled for Korean language characters or something like that, and I used to get that box every time I went there, it was so irritating. But after clicking on the correct part of it, sorry don't remember where, it went away and has never been back.You have to register for the Korean Forum separately in order to post. I don't know how to register for it, tho, but then again I haven't really tried very hard to find out--it shouldn't be THAT difficult. If you find out how, let me know.
Paul John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a regular on the job discussion forums about four or five years ago. It seemed that at least half the messages were about Korea and the non-Korean TEFLers started to get a little bit fed up with it. There was quite a bit of lobbying to Dave Sperling about splitting the forums, as I recall, and after a year or so the forums were finally split.

Dave also used a different BB system then, and it was harder to keep threads distinct. At times, the the list of messages seemed to be swamped with Korean messages.

The teacher training forum, BTW, still uses the old BB system if you want to see what it was like.
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul John! I, too, was posting under Dave's different system 4-5 years ago. His old system, for ex didn't keep track of how many posts you made, a poster could post under multiple user names easily, etc, etc, etc....

I don't think I'm really interested in registering for the Korean forum as I have no contact whatsoever with ESL in Korea--it was just an idle question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: