Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA Newspapers, friends, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lola723

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: BA Newspapers, friends, etc. Reply with quote

Hey All,

I'm a college student/aspiring ESL teacher from Washington, DC that will be studying abroad in a BA university for a year. I'm going to be arriving on Jan. 11th, 2005, without knowing a soul. I'm looking for a friend for shortly after I arrive- a fellow ESL teacher, one to help give me the low down on the teaching industry, life in BA, etc., (I know something similar to this has already been posted, but the post wasn't too recent, I think).

Also, (if it's advisable) the name of a local BA paper/website that I would be allowed to advertise in for a "language exchange partner" (an Argentine who is looking to exchange their colloquial Spanish for my English). No money involved, just an exchange/friendship. The reason being, I know proper, "textbook" Spanish, but nobody really speaks it in real life). In DC, we have Craigslist.org/The Washington City Paper for things like that, is there anything similar in Buenos Aires?

Any info you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Peace and be wild! -Lola
amy1982

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lola-

i can't help you much with the friend thing right now, as i will not be down there until july (most likely). however, i can tell you that argentines are VERY friendly. i studied abroad in BsAs for a semester at UBA (and one class at USAL). in each of my classes, several students gave me their phone numbers, address, email, etc. invited me out, invited me to study, get together with other friends, family, etc.... (i didn't even have to approach them)

it's why i'm going back!!

also, get on the student email list for your classes (if there is one). they were pretty common in the psych classes i was taking... the students share ideas, ask questions, summarize readings, send out reminders about assignments, impromptu parties, etc.

you should have no trouble finding people in your classes that are very eager to practice english with you (and help you out with castellano, too). it can be quite different from textbook spanish, but not impossible - even fun. get a lunfardo dictionary if you have a little $ to spare - write down any weird words you hear and look them up.

the Buenos Aires Herald is an english newspaper that many students pick up who want to practice. if you want to advertise, you might check that out. also, Clarin and La Nacion are very popular newspapers. those 3 are all online, including the "classificados" sections. but i really don't think you will even need to advertise.

good luck with everything!!
zachariah64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lola-

Hey, although you will be there before me, i will be arriving late january and will be looking to teach english, i just graduated from berkeley and am also looking for some friends. i'd love to meet up, help you out with any info i have and get other info from you, let me know. [email protected]
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lola,
I know that by now you must be in Argentina. I am argentine, but I don�t live in BA, so I can�t help you in the friend thing. Sad
But what someone before said is true, we , argentines may have several wrong doings, etc, but we are very friendly! and people here are also very helpful, so don�t hesitate to ask for help.
About a newspaper, consult www.clarin.com.ar
I wish you the best and welcome to Argentina!!
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lola, Very Happy
I know that by now you must be in Argentina. I am argentine, but I don�t live in BA, so I can�t help you in the friend thing. Sad
But what someone before said is true, we , argentines may have several wrong doings, etc, but we are very friendly! and people here are also very helpful, so don�t hesitate to ask for help.
About a newspaper, consult www.clarin.com.ar
I wish you the best and welcome to Argentina!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: