Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostels, Getting From Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Hostels, Getting From Airport Reply with quote

I'm arriving in Buenos Aires on January 28, 2005 and wondered if anyone could recommend an affordable hostel in a fun part of the city. I don't need anything fancy, just a solid recommendation of a hostel that takes reservations (and hopefully could pick me up at the airport). What's the best way to get from the airport to the city in general?
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of hostels in bsas (i spent a day on my bike putting posters up for friends in them all!!), it all depends on what you want. I stayed at Milhouse YHA when i first passed through and had a brilliant time, about $6 a night in a dorm, it's very big and very friendly and central and you meet a lot of people very quickly. V+S is a bit quieter and right in the centre, there's a Hostal Inn in Monserat/San Telmo and loads of much smaller places in buildings along the Av de Mayo. There are a couple in recoleta but i personally think the 3 biggies mentioned are your best best, at least for the first couple of days. You can always change once you get there. They should all come up if you google them.

As for getting from the airport, you can take the shuttle bus from manuel tienda leon for 23pesos (although it seems to go up every week) or if you meet someone to share with a remis (private taxi) is around 45 pesos between however many people are sharing and takes you direct to your hostel instead of to the MTL terminal where you have to get another transfer to your hostel.

Enjoy,

matt
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a bus that takes you from Ezeiza to downtown? I thought I read somewhere that you could hop on the bus 86 or 186 and get there alright... ?

Thanks in advance,

EN
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can indeed get a local bus for about AR$1.60 or something like that but it can take over 2 hours sometimes depending on the time of day and if you don't already know the city i wouldn't recommend it, especially with a lot of luggage.

Sharing a remis is def the best, safest (make sure you go to a registered stand and not to some guy just hanging around saying 'taxi, taxi taxi' over and over again) and quickest way (35 minutes, followed by the transfer bus (45mins + transfer of about 15-20mins) if you're on you own. Only do the bus if you're really, really desperate to save US$7.50 after a long and tiring flight...
DanS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Bus to Ezeiza Reply with quote

Hola... I spent most of 2004 in BsAs so just a quick note on bus 86. Yes it's super cheap (1.60 pesos roundtrip or so) but watch out - not EVERY bus 86 goes all the way TO the airport. Some only do part of the route. Obviously it's not a problem if you are leaving FROM the airport to downtown... it'll take you to the heart of el centro, by the Casa Rosada, etc. Oh yeah, and set aside a couple of hours to make the trip - there's a lot of stops!
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, both of you... I think I'll still go for the bus, though, I don't like taxis. ; ) (And yes, I am, gasp, *desperate* to save a few USD!) Plus, I arrive early in the morning, so putting aside a few hours to get to El Centro shouldn't be a problem. Heehee!
OzBurn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with bus 86. I did it, and got a nice little tour of the burbs. It is a bit slow, but I was in no hurry.
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Here is my opinion, I am argentine, may be my advice may help or not.
I had to go to Ezeiza Airport to pick up a friend arriving from US, and I definetely found safer and faster to use "Manuel Tienda Leon", you won�t have problem with your lugagge, because those buses are used for that purpose. In buses like 86, as you mentioned, maybe you have to go all the way standing up, and I can�t really imagine what you can do with your lugagge. Of course, the difference in price is big, but I would choose "Manuel Tienda Leon" as I did, anyways. When you arrive downtown to their offices, they have vans and they can take you to the place you are going to stay, hotel, hostels, etc.
I hope my opinion was of any help.
I wish a nice stay in my country! Very Happy
matttheboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i'd add this:

Last Saturday a bus run by Manuel Tienda Leon was robbed at gunpoint by 4-6 (depends on which paper you read) thieves. It happened just as the bus was leaving the airport car, seconds after going through the toll gate. The thieves jumped on, stole everyone's hand luggage/valuables and beat up an Italian and Finnish tourist. They then got off the bus and disappeared.

Welcome to Argentina Very Happy

So basically, the only truly safe way of getting from the airport is in a private taxi (remis) although i'll still be taking the MTL bus as it's cheaper and highly unlikely this kind of robbery will happen again. I really would avoid taking the local bus. Chances are you'll be absolutely fine but travelling on that bus you'll be a much easier target and stand out a lot more...and if you're potentially risking 100s of $ worth of clothes, luggage, camera etc for the sake of saving $8 then.....
che2007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Is there an update on this topic? Reply with quote

From Ezeiza to where you are going. What to do? Is there an official taxi? So do I ask for a "remise"? I'll be heading to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks, and I'd like to know. Any advice? What's the best way to do this?

I'd love to hook up with other teachers too! Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: