Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instituto Britanico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meliska

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Instituto Britanico Reply with quote

I am in the process of applying to take the CELTA course through the Instituto Britanico in Costa Rica. Does anyone have experience with taking the course there? If so, what did you think of the teaching you received and the experience as a whole?

Also, the application asks whether you are interested in working for the Instituto Britanico upon completion of the course. Are any of you working there, or have you worked for them in the past? Please share your experiences! Thanks in advance.
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Searching for Specific Schools, People and Places Reply with quote

A simpler way to do this is to click on the Search button beneath the caption "The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!" above. I did a quick serach on "Instituto Britanico" and found a few recent posts including: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=25227&highlight=instituto+britanico
Perhaps this information is not specific enough, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of this feature of Dave's Forums, which I have found to be very helpful.
KTCAMP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: CELTA at Instituto Britanico Reply with quote

I took the CELTA class at Instituto Britanico in Costa Rica in August 2004 and had a fantastic experience. The training I received was specific, practical and demanding. By the second day we were teaching students in a classroom setting, so everything that we talked about in theory in the morning we were able to put into practice in the classroom in the afternoon.

They also taught us how to teach using the same methodologies that they were teaching us. We were never lectured and we were never sitting in our chairs very long. The 8 hour days flew by. We learned the methods by experiencing them instead of just talking about them in theory.

Don't expect that you'll have a lot of free time during this course. My days and evenings and weekends were consumed by the class for those four weeks. It's intense, but I'd prefer that over some of the joke courses I've heard about.

As far as working at Instituto after the course, don't expect to be hired. Out of the 12 people taking the course last August, just one was British and she was the only one who was hired to work there afterward. But don't despair, within two weeks after finishing the course, I had three full-time teaching job offers and I now teach at the largest, most prestigious private university in Costa Rica, Universidad Latina, where I earn twice what teachers at Instituto make. From what I've seen, IB would be a great place to work. Lots of teacher support and resources and the director, Ellen Hunt, is a wonderful person. But I believe you have to sign at least a 6-month contract and the pay is on the low side.

Let me know if you have more questions about the CELTA or teaching in Costa Rica.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: