Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How/where to get TEFL Certification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CathyM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: How/where to get TEFL Certification Reply with quote

I want to teach English in Costa Rica and am wondering what the best way to get my TEFL Certification is?

I saw a program called TEFL International - they have a school in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. You get 120+ hours of classroom time and up to 9 hours of Observed Teaching Practice. It costs US$1595 for the 4-week program and about $300 for accommodations.

Does this sound reasonable? Is anyone familiar with this program?
CostaRicaTEFL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cathy,

Glad to see you've applied to the TEFL Int program. Hope to see you here soon!

As you know, TEFL Int. is one of the top three TEFL/TESOL course providers. We are externally validated. Our program is rigorous, but not so much that you don't have some time to explore the local wonders. We're just outside of the Manuel Antonio national park, and will be taking our trainees there for a guided tour this weekend.

We run our program differently. While some programs leave you with virtually no personal time, we want you to be able to enjoy where you are - and believe the two goals are not mutually exclusive. We give you the best possible chance of success, rather than running a program of attrition. No grading on a curve. You're graded on your own merits. That is not to say that it's easy. The trainees, course after course, are surprised at the workload. Not everyone gets through the course.

We take the view that we can train you very well to go out and teach effectively, but that overloading you with pressure and work actually dimishes your ability to process meaningfully the experience. We also feel that leaving here with solid pedagogical tools is important, but that developing a personal philosophy toward teaching is equally important.

As to your questions, I believe that the insurance here is relatively inexpensive. Also, we (we meaning TEFL Int. - Manuel Antonio) provide homestays for trainees whenever possible. One of the trainees in the current course is housed in a homestay situation and at least one from the next course will be, also.

Additionally, we are developing a very special program at this site that involves working closely with a local foundation that works with disabled and/or poor children. We are going to be teaching English to a group of children with disabilities as part of our Teaching Practice (observed teaching in the classroom). We hope to expand this to opportunities for interested trainees to do community service teaching additional English classes or other types of volunteering. To our knowledge, we are the only TESOL certificate course in the world to have such a program. (Our main branch in Thailand also has a program that works with the poor in Thailand - Rural Thailand Project, I believe.)

So, there's a lot going on here. Come join us!

Killian O'Brien
Academic Director
TEFL International - Manuel Antonio
ck921

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Tesol International in Costa Rica Reply with quote

I was extremely excited about this program too, but have become a little worried about it. I have filled out an application and have tried numerous times over the last month to get in touch with someone affiliated with the program. The website says they guarenteed a 5 minute response, but I fiqured that was too soon. It sounds great ,but is hard to make a decision when they can't get back to you with basic questions about the program. Has anyone else had a problem contacting this school? Can anyone recommend a program in Costa Rica?

Thanks,
Crystal
CostaRicaTEFL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: TEFL International or TESOL International? Reply with quote

Hello Crystal,

Perhaps there is some mix-up? The company referred to in this thread is TEFL International, i.e., www.teflintl.com. If you were replying to TEFL International, how were you trying to reach us? Via phone or via the internet? Were you trying to reach the international offices or the Costa Rica office in Manuel Antonio? Regardless, sorry for your troubles.

To contact us directly here in Costa Rica, call country code 506 - 777-4057 or e-mail us at [email protected]. The address for the international office is [email protected].

You can e-mail me directly at [email protected].

I look forward to hearing from you,

Killian O'Brien
Academic Director
TEFL International - Costa Rica
ck921

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: TEFL International Reply with quote

Hello Killian,

Thank you so much for replying. After posting here, I decided to go on the website one more time. The website had changed formats. So, I applied again. This time as soon as I applied I received an email saying they had received my application. I'm assuming that there were some problems with the website since it was under contruction. One quick question. I live in Korea, but I put my US address on the application. I also put both my phone number in Korea and my US number. How will I be notified if I'm accepted and if there is an opening when I'd like to attend the program? Is it by email, phone, or letter? Thanks again for replying to my post. I'm once again excited about the program. Smile

Thanks,
Crystal
CostaRicaTEFL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crystal,

You should be getting a response via e-mail that tells you how to go about registering and paying your deposit. Once your deposit is paid, we are notified of your registration. You will hear from us via e-mail. We (the actual site you request) do not recieve any info about trainees until they have applied AND paid their deposit. However, you can always contact us directly if you have any questions about the program in genenral or our site specifically.

Hope this helps,

Killian
Musica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: �Necesite m�s informaci�n por favor! Reply with quote

CostaRicaTEFL wrote:
...Our program is rigorous...The trainees, course after course, are surprised at the workload. Not everyone gets through the course... Shocked

Dear Killian, re: the above quote. I have been looking closely at EFL certification where I live, Costa Rica. I'm afraid to admit that I've been intimidated by the sound of these programs, and not just TEFL International!

I have questions as to why these courses must be as such, as in so difficult that some students, after paying ~$2000 US, for whatever reason can't cope and FAIL! - and also why such a hurry to hurry up and hurry?

Aside from students/teachers having "simple" learning style/strategy/metacognitive difficulties or personal issues therefore the struggle and/or failure rate...and in reference to the heavy-course-load- jammed-into-4-weeks is the dark view that it's all about moving students through as fast as possible in order to...er...balance books, I came up with a few possible reasons: "exotic locale" TEFL courses are esteemed so although it may be easy (or is it difficult?) to get enrollment numbers for one month (students may only be able to 'get-away' for one month?) guaranteeing student numbers for longer periods of time would pose much more of a challenge; overhead costs for TEFL/CELTA schools may be too high to support/design a different layout of course content/instructor costs and availability etc; you can't mess with the master plan because of worldwide standards; or maybe homestay/apartments/hotels can get too expensive if one stays around longer than a month - which ties into my last stab at it 'cause I really don't have a clue about the economics, politics, and administration of running a school - maybe it's solely that quick certification will get you out working in a month so that you can eat and pay the rent which can be a very motivating factor for students to continue to support short courses!

Can you, or anyone else out there, offer a little more of an explanation as to exactly why this course possesses such a demanding workload? Is it because it's only a four week course, and if so, why are these courses only one month long, or are you aware of any classroom-based TEFL/CELTA courses that are offered that are stretched out over even say - 8 weeks?

I guess I have some bad memories whilst obtaining my BEd in 1-Year-Only window period (which is actually not even 9 months when you count Christmas vacation) that nearly killed me, the coveted university course is referred to unaffectionately as "boot camp"! Then I jumped right into my first job, a full-time classroom position and in retrospect I know that I struggled more because I was so totally unprepared with the reality of public school. This time around I don't want to have to go through that again, I feel that it can be way too much unneccessary stress.

I would like to pose the question to yourself Killian, and to others on the forum. How do you feel about concentrated courses? Has any one out there taken the Manuel Antonio or other TEFL course onsite?

CostaRicaTEFL wrote:
...We take the view that we can train you very well to go out and teach effectively, but that overloading you with pressure and work actually dimishes your ability to process meaningfully the experience...

Question Disculpe. The above just confuses me more. So the course is rigorous, some people fail, and yet it's not overloading ... help ! ! !

Looking forward to your reply when you have time, Muchas gracias.
woodersn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure, Musica. But it would be interesting to hear the response because I was planning on attending this very school. Maybe I can let you know afterwards?

My theory is, it's a bit like a disclaimer. Not everyone passes. Rigorous coarse-load. I'm not tooting my own horn here, but I usually think of myself as a cut above the average Joe, so I figure I can handle it. Anytime I have doubts I just say to myself, "Self, maybe it is those doofs on Jerry Springer who are the real average Joes." But who knows? I guess I'll find out!!

As far as the 4-week course structure, I haven't seen any other formats in my searches. I suspect it may have something to do with the "worldwide standards," perhaps the external-accreditation body is more responsible for this. But then, I'm just speculating here.

Brandon
Musica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Your Response Was Appreciated :) Reply with quote

woodersn wrote:
I'm not really sure, Musica. But it would be interesting to hear the response because I was planning on attending this very school. Maybe I can let you know afterwards?

Muchas gracias Brandon. Absolutely keep me posted, pun intended! Cool
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Musica, where are you going to teach? in Costa Rica? Reply with quote

Are you planning to teach in Costa Rica or elsewhere? So far I've heard that CELTA and Trinity programs are the only ones very widely known and long established, but if you're teaching in Latin America, maybe that's not an issue? It turns out that www.institutobritanico.co.cr offers CELTA in Costa Rica, so you might want to look into it.
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the poster formerly known as CostaRicaTEFL. For my views on the subject, see the link below.
KTCAMP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: CELTA at Instituto Britanico Reply with quote

I took the CELTA class at Instituto Britanico in Costa Rica in August 2004 and had a fantastic experience. The training I received was specific, practical and demanding. By the second day we were teaching students in a classroom setting, so everything that we talked about in theory in the morning we were able to put into practice in the classroom in the afternoon.

They also taught us how to teach using the same methodologies that they were teaching us. We were never lectured and we were never sitting in our chairs very long. The 8 hour days flew by. We learned the methods by experiencing them instead of just talking about them in theory.

Don't expect that you'll have a lot of free time during this course. My days and evenings and weekends were consumed by the class for those four weeks. It's intense, but not unreasonable.

IB's next CELTA course is in October 2005. Instituto Britanico is located in San Pedro, an eastern suburb of San Jose, which is home to the University of Costa Rica and a number of other private universities, so it's a good place to look for a job after taking the course.
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA at Instituto Britanico Reply with quote

KTCAMP wrote:
I took the CELTA class at Instituto Britanico in Costa Rica in August 2004 and had a fantastic experience. The training I received was specific, practical and demanding.

They also taught us how to teach using the same methodologies that they were teaching us. We were never lectured and we were never sitting in our chairs very long.

Don't expect that you'll have a lot of free time during this course. My days and evenings and weekends were consumed by the class for those four weeks. It's intense, but not unreasonable.

I should say the course WAS demanding. I am no longer the Academic Director there. The partner in residence takes the view that his priority is to make you happy. Training is secondary. It was a huge source of friction while I was there.

The quote further up the thread was meant to show that the course I was the trainer for was not as intense as the CELTA as there is such a thing as overload. However, the current trainees are spending, by their own admission, little or no time on the weekends and not much time outside of class during the week studying and preparing. This is a bad thing. The trainers either do not understand what their purpose is, do not understand the difference between teaching and training, or simply aren't very good at what they do.

A TESOL course SHOULD be demanding. Very demanding. How can anyone expect to go from totally inexperienced to a decent teacher in a month spending only 8 hours a day working? Ridiculous. If you're not spending the 6 class hours/teaching hours plus an additonal five or more a day, you are not not being properly prepared. Period.

When you graduate people who cannot plan a proper class - "I just played games my last two classes [sic]" is a quote from a recent graduate - and cannot explain the most basic terms, you are not doing what you are paid for.

And, to answer a question further up the thread, yes, there is a huge amount to learn in that short time. There is absolutely no way to learn the basics of teaching and develop a degree of competency infour weeks without working your rear off, unless you already have experience and skill. So, the course does need to be intense and should actually be longer. Why not 6 weeks? Apparently most potential trainees can't take that much time from work/school.

But for that 1600 or more, you should expect to be stressed, to be pushed, to be challenged and to be able to teach when you are done. And, no, not all can do it, but they have to be responsible for their effort and the choice to try something they perhaps were not fit for.

EFLtrainer
KTCAMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Requesting clarity Reply with quote

EFLtrainer, I just read and re-read your post and I'm not sure I understand your point. First, are you saying that you were the Academic Director of Instituto Britanico? Or a different institute? The current director of the English program at IB is a highly compentent teacher trainer as was her predecessor.

I'm also not sure why you're quoting me. In this discourse, my goal is only to get the word out about a solid, reliable teacher training course at IB, not to compare to another program I don't know anything about. Quality does vary quite drastically among teacher training courses and people interested in taking these courses should do their research ahead of time.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per above: Get a Celta or a Trinity.

Anything else, whatever it may called this week and whether or not it is 'externally validated' (by whom, the director's cousin? the neighbours cat?) will have zero international recognition except by the issuing authority.

Of course a few people fail their CELTA. If nobody could fail then their would be no point in attending th ecourse; just hand over a couple of thousand $s and receive your 'certificate' in the post.

To be honest the CELTA is not so much difficult as intense. And if you fail you probably shouldn't really be looking to work as an EFL teacher anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: