Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in App Linguistics - how useful in Australia??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Couper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: MA in App Linguistics - how useful in Australia?? Reply with quote

Desperately seeking specific advice about what to study next.

I have a BA in English, a CELTA and 3 years experience in London and Indonesia. I want to teach adults (migrants/refugees) in a university or private school setting, not children, and I really want to be employable in Aus, not just overseas.

I've just enrolled in an MA in Applied Linguistics at UNE, but now I'm worried that I'm going to end up having to do to do a DipEd as well. Should I just do the DipEd instead (or Grad Dip in TESOL...as I say, i am confused)?

Sorry if I've missed information from previous posts. I think my brain is shattered from the disappointment of 6 months unsuccessful job-hunting in Perth.

Shocked
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couper,

I'm sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in landing a job in Perth. In Australia, it would appear that there are very few long-term and permanent TESL jobs. In Perth, did you try to get some casual teaching work at the language schools ? Perth's a great place ! Are you still there ?

I'm also enrolled in UNE's online MA (Applied Linguistics) programme. It's an excellent programme - I'm sure that you'll learn a lot from it.The only criticism that I have of it, is that the number of unit options is somewhat limited. For the next semester, to complete my degree, I'll be doing a couple of online units offered by Macquarie Uni, that will be cross-credited towards my UNE degree. The Macquarie units that I'll be doing are related to the area of ESP (English for Specific Purposes) - am hoping to move into EAP work in the not-too-distant future.

However, from reading your posting I'm a little doubtful whether UNE's MA(AL) programme would be the most appropriate course for you . In your posting, you mentioned that you didn't want to teach "children", but would consider a job in a "private school". I'm a little confused here. By "children", do you mean very young kids ? If you want to teach older children ( ie of secondary school age), whether in a private or state school, an undergraduate degree, an MA(AL) and a CELTA would NOT be regarded as adequate qualifications by the various states' education authorities. If you want to teach secondary school kids, you would need to complete a Grad.Dip.Ed. or Grad.Dip.Tchg - or, possibly, a B.Ed or M.Ed. Contact your nearest state education authority regarding their actual requirements. At this stage, it might be a bit too late to change your candidature. However, you could change your candidature for the 2nd semester - in such a case, you MAY be able to cross-credit the one or two MA(AL) units that you pass in the 1st semester to your Grad.Dip.Ed. programme.

In some ways, I think that a Grad.Dip.Ed. may be more useful to you than a MA(AL) - even if you decide not to stay as a secondary teacher. While the MA(AL) will provide you with many useful insights, the emphasis is very much on theory. In a Grad.Dip.Ed. programme, it may be possible for you to focus on TESOL. Also, such a qualification (along with a certificate of recognition by a state teaching authority) would qualify you for HK's NET scheme, the Brunei teaching service - and, of course, the lucrative international schools.

You also said something about adult teaching. Again, I doubt very much whether the MA(AL) would be the appropriate qualification - should you plan to go down the adult education path. At UNE, I believe, in their M.Ed programme you can focus on both adult education AND TESOL. Check the Faculty of Education's Masters' programmes, via the UNE website ( www.une.edu.au ) . Many people think that you need to have an academic background in TESOL in order to teach adults - just as important is the area of adult learning and teaching. Again, should you decide to change programmes, it may be possible for you to cross-credit the one or two MA(AL) units that you do in the 1st semester. It might be a good idea for you to contact someone in the Faculty in order to discuss your career plans and to ask for advice regarding the most appropriate units to enrol in.

Are you a permanent resident of Australia ? If not, it might be worthwhile enquiring about it, as PR status might make you eligible for HECS and the other forms of study assistance. If you're from the UK, you may wish to consider returning home and enrolling in a PGCE programme - it might be free for you ! - and then return to Australia.

In your posting, you mentioned that you have been working in Indonesia. I'm currently in China, but may consider Indonesia after my current contract expires in June/July 2005. Would you recommend Indonesia ? Were you teaching in a university, or what ?

BTW, what MA(AL) units have you enrolled in for the 1st semester ?

Please PM should you require any further info.

Good luck.

Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: