Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cricket lessons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it, but I drank to the result.
Back to Lance, have you read any of his autobiograhies?
Amazing.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
I didn't see it, but I drank to the result.
Back to Lance, have you read any of his autobiograhies?
Amazing.

No - I'll look out for it. I have to say I'm not a great cycling fan but I can see why he's such a hero. The French are so jealous. They can't work out how someone with cancer can recover and then win 7 tours because their best cyclists are (were by now I hope) all on drugs!
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Best sportsman Reply with quote

Muhammad Ali. The Greatest.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Every picture tells a story. Reply with quote

Rusty, I see you have a new avatar. Surely you haven't changed allegiance as well?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Every picture tells a story. Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Rusty, I see you have a new avatar. Surely you haven't changed allegiance as well?

No, I was cheering as much as the punters at the Oval when the English took the light. I felt the Aussies' decision to take the light on Friday afternoon would come back to haunt them and it did this afternoon. Having said that there's a day left and the way the series has gone Fat Boy Shane might still have the final say. The guy is amazing, even if Australia lose I'd give him 'Man of the Series'; without him playing England would have certainly won in Manchester, may not have lost at Lords and would have had a bigger lead in the current game. Also, the two England wins would not have been two of the closest finshes in history if he hadn't been heading the Aussie attack.

grahamb wrote:
Mohammed Ali

I'm not sure Ali would rank too highly in the 21st century (which is what we were debating). I'm sure most would go for him for the 20th century and then W.G. Grace for the 19th century (any other suggestions?). Having said that C. B. Fry could be argued to be the greatest in either century - long jump world record holder, international footballer, international cricketer and Barbarian at rugby. All this on top of being in line for King of Albania and good pals with Adolf.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd give him 'Man of the Series';
Ahead of Freddie? I think he is the first England cricketer since Botham to take 20 wickets and get 200 runs in an Ashes. Pretty impressive.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:
I'd give him 'Man of the Series';
Ahead of Freddie? I think he is the first England cricketer since Botham to take 20 wickets and get 200 runs in an Ashes. Pretty impressive.

I know what you're saying and it's a debate going on all over but for me the Aussie's have relied on Warne all the way through while England have been more of a team. Freddie Flintoff has been England's best player but there have been other crucial performances, such as, Hoggard's and Simon Jones's bowling and runs from Tresco and Strauss.

If Warne was English (or British) this would not have been a contest and England would have won 5-0, 4-0 or 4-1.

I was reading last week that the repalcement for Bell may be Ireland's Joyce. I really wish that cricket was more like the football in terms of who was allowed to play, then there would be a chance that the rest of the UK and Ireland would compete eventually in the test arena. I'm sure the day will come that Test status will be in divisions and that might mean that the Saltires and Ireland would be able to eventually join the 2nd division meaning that the Ashes would happen more often and that England would get to play India, South Africa and the West Indies more often.

By the way if England do win tomorrow then I'll change the picture from Fat Boy to the Urn in celebration.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related and not too off topic. I read the other day that for the London Olympics there will be a one off and The UK can have a football team for the Olympics. apparantly Blader is behind the idea, as is the FA and SFA but a few voices are saying no because if it happens once there will only be a UK team and not the individual nations for future world cups. What do you reckon? I like the idea(even though there would be few Scots in the team)
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Related and not too off topic. I read the other day that for the London Olympics there will be a one off and The UK can have a football team for the Olympics. apparantly Blader is behind the idea, as is the FA and SFA but a few voices are saying no because if it happens once there will only be a UK team and not the individual nations for future world cups. What do you reckon? I like the idea(even though there would be few Scots in the team)

I understood that the SFA were against it and the others were open to persuasion. I would be for it but I'm not sure how it would work. If it was a representative team with open selection then that would lead to calls for a UK team in the future which I would be dead against as that would mean the end of football as we know it (I'm sure Blatter has his motives in terms of the British representation on the ruling body). I'd prefer a Home International competition so that the UK team would be represented by one country which we could all support (if we wanted too). It happened in a World Cup once in the 1950s, I think. I think that would be great - Summer 2011 nothing much going on football wise except for Olypmic qualifying with all the UK teams going for one place.

Are you going to be tuned into the cricket tomorrow?
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course not I will be working very hard in the office.(Psst secret-My boss is in Paris until Tuesday, so I will be tuned into Radio 5 live though)
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:
Of course not I will be working very hard in the office.(Psst secret-My boss is in Paris until Tuesday, so I will be tuned into Radio 5 live though)

I'm working until 3pm Confused So my plan is to have the Internet on in the office while England build a decent total (Freddie top scoreer with 50 not out) and then make a mad dash for home to watch the Aussie run chase fail due to Freddie's 5 wicket haul. Of course Freddie will then be named 'Man of the series' no problem.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year = Freddie
BBC Team of the Year = England Cricket team (as long as they don't get rolled over by the Pakistanis)
BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year = Fat Boy Shane
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You doing again ok Russell? I have no fingernails left.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entrailicus wrote:
Too many avatars of Shane Warne on one thread for my liking. You boys need to come and join the Turkish thread.
Ok I'll make an effort. Wink
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
You doing again ok Russell? I have no fingernails left.

I was cool by about 20 minutes after tea. By that time you could tell that England had the Ashes, even though Boycott was going on about how Vaughan should have been thinking about making a declaration to make it interesting. Pietersen's innings was typical I caught the last third on TV - he rode his luck but came out on top.

As for the morning, I was teaching so I had the data projector going with the PC display of the handouts and the BBC run by run update reduced in the status bar. The great thing is it still gives you the score when reduced so I was able to check everytime I turned to the screen.

They announced that the BBC will have full commentary from Pakistan in November and December. I'm not sure about the World Series next month but with Freddie, Harmison, Vaughan and Pietersen involved I should think there should be something on the TV Radio and Internet.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a bit quiet here since the cricket finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: