Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Leicester

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madeira

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: University of Leicester Reply with quote

A question for those of you 'on the ground' in the UK...

Is this University respected at all?

I'm leaning towards it as they accept credits from Vancouver Community College towards their MA program. I think they do most/all of their MA program online, too... a plus as I'm in Japan now.

An aside, really, but I may be transferred to Surrey sometime next year... what is Surrey like? Any jobs/schools there, either to attend as a Masters student or to teach at as an assistant? (I won't be qualified to teach at real schools, I'm sure. I have only a BFA and TESOL cert.)

Any info/advice appreciated. Otherwise, is there a minimum wage? What about other jobs? I have extensive experience in training/grooming cattle for show and teaching drawing/printmaking/painting courses to adults. I've never worked in the food/beverage industry... not sure I could do it.

I've read this forum and the job situation seems grim for EFL. Sorry if my post is a bit scattered! Again, any info appreciated!
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Leicester's good. Not Oxford, but fine. The University of Surrey also does TEFL MAs I think. Can't say more than that I'm afraid.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the University league tables for an idea - the Guardian, Times and THES deal in these although I think the Guardian is an undergraduate table and wouldn't take into account postgrad courses.

Also, go to the QAA website where all the University inspection reports are listed and are downloadable.
madeira

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

Now trying to figure out how to get my cat into the UK, what kind of health insurance is available, what estate agents are decent, which towns are convenient to London without being dangerous (What's up with Woking? Location seems good, but the local websites are full of complaints. I like the looks of Guildford, but trains are apparantly not frequent. Any suggestions?) The job situation seems impossible, not just grim. Hopefully some UK expats can point me in the direction of reasonable jobs... but they're expats for a reason, probably... and how the heck am I going to find a job, any job, with my Canadian accent?

Panicking a bit.

(Um, this site seems somewhat slightly underutilised. If there is a less slightly underutilised site for ESL teachers/expats in the UK... please feel free to pm me the info. Not that I would ask such a thing, of course.)
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on kent's posts, he has a list of MA programs somewhere. I think either on the GD or Thailand forums.
james_tesol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i ask how much the online MA is from the university of Leicester or Surrey, since i am thinking of applying to do the same course also?

Also, when does it start?
lastmanineurope

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, University of Leicester has a good reputation, particularly in the area of ELT and Applied Linguistics. My MA Applied Linguistics lecturer studied there and now he lectures for Northumbria University. I have read papers by Leicester people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: