Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a single woman in Kuwait?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Advice for a single woman in Kuwait? Reply with quote

I am considering taking a job with an international school (I am a high school teacher in Canada) and I know this is a reputable school. I'm just concerned about what my freedom will be like in Kuwait as a woman. I am aware that I need to dress modestly and that this is a dry country. I'm not going to party, I'm actually interested in the culture, the language, and the job. I taught ESL in Korea in the late 90s, and had a blast (most days). I just want to be able to travel through the country, and possibly other ME countries (keeping in mind the obvious exceptions). Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kola,

Did you do a search? This topic has been discussed a number of times here. You will have pretty much total freedom. Even many of the local women dress in the latest fashions. As to the conservatism of dress required from you, I would merely avoid showing too much skin... no shorts or sleeveless in public, but in private areas of the clubs and hotels, you have more freedom.

It is a dry country, but I never attended either a party or a dinner where there wasn't alcohol available. Just don't ask me where it came from because I never bothered to ask. Smile

As to traveling about the country... there is really nowhere to travel to. Kuwait City sits in the middle of an ugly featureless flatland desert with only oil wells and unexploded armaments to be found. Any travel would have to be by air to other nearby countries.

To be honest, if you are interested in living 'in' a culture and learning about it and its language, the Gulf countries are NOT a good choice. The local people keep to themselves and your only contact tends to be your students. Thus all of your social contacts will be with other expats like yourself. All commerce is done in English. This is a place that people go to make money, not to learn about a culture.

Personally if you are interested in living in and learning about the culture of the Middle East, I would suggest that you might want to consider North Africa (Morocco, Egypt) or the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan). You will also have a great deal more fun!! And so many interesting sites to see...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: