Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wot no UK forum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do we want a UK forum?
Yes! By gum, we do!
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
Um, no. Go away, newbie.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I could care less. I'm only taking part in this poll at all because of extreme boredom.
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

R

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Wot no UK forum? Reply with quote

Oh, I've gone and said it all in the post title! Surely there's room for one, given that I can't walk down a single street without seeing a language school (but then, this is a) because of the cities I've lived in and b) a lie).

Rob.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted C, because it's essentially correct. I could live without a UK forum, but it's a valid argument, especially when North America has one and Australia/NZ have one.
R

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yay! Thank you for your support! (I take what I can get. That's voter apathy for you!)

Rob.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: UKofGB&NI Forum Reply with quote

There should be a forum for the UKofGB&NI. We need to tell people what a deadend this EFL work is in that benighted land. You get more money driving a bus ! And it's more fun ! And you have a decent trade union !
R

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually driving a bus is probably quite similar to TEFL.

1) you get to travel
2) you get paid small change to hold brief conversations with people who half the time have no grasp of the English language
3) you have to keep stopping for people
4) I'm really stretching this

Well, it was a thought.

Actually I'm told there's a shortage of bus drivers in some of the more affluent areas (eg Oxford) because you can't afford to live in them on bus drivers' wages. So there you go.
SueH

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R wrote:
Actually driving a bus is probably quite similar to TEFL.

Another similarity: you forgot that often they both require split shifts.

And you're right about the shortage of bus drivers: throughout the South-East in fact, as the freebie job newspapers will demonstrate.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: other similarities Reply with quote

Another similarity is that demand is seasonal. More jobs in summer than winter.
R

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're onto something here. So... (wait for it...) does this mean that doing TEFL abroad counts as a 'busman's holiday'? Hohoho! Laughing
Will.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money, at the moment, seems to be in recycling into ESOL.
Local colleges and HE institutions are paying quite good money...
18-25k
Government is funding education, so colleges are recruiting students, students need how long will it last?...
Will.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah real reason. A Uk forum, maybe we are all working abroad, lights on... W
What UK focussed sites do we have? Does anyone know of a decent one?
leeroy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Geeza Reply with quote

Fackin ell!
yu wud av fort,

wot wiv english caming from england n orl vat, vet vere wud bi an english forum.

(OK, enough of that, I'm tired.)

Seriously Dave, if you look on tefl.com there are something like 50 jobs going for the UK right now. Not so many on this site though, oddly. A little bit more support for our UK teachers please! Smile
b-boy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means there should be a UK forum. It's a shame there is such a divide in the EFL world between the UK and the States. One doesn't know that much about the other. As an American with a DELTA, US employers smile politely at my resume. In Europe, they look at my American MA skeptically. If the internet is the true international forum, I'm shocked that Dave's ESL cafe, the institution of ESL sites, doesn't have a forum. This is the place for the two EFL superpowers to get to know each other. If nothing esle, we can all learn to write the London English variation a little better Laughing . (apparently the forum program won't allow me to write the commonly known name of the variation of English spoken in London that uses it's own rhyming slang... is this because of the first four letters spell a bad word Shocked , or is this yet another attempt by Dave's to keep Americans and Brits separated? Hmmm... Wink .)

b-boy
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: the view from california Reply with quote

But viewed from California - where this site is based - the UK is a quaint corner of the world, home to Mary Poppins. Far from the real business of TESOLing. Everyone knows that real English is what they have in Murka.
b-boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: the view from california Reply with quote

This is what you said,

scot47 wrote:
But viewed from California - where this site is based - the UK is a quaint corner of the world, home to Mary Poppins. Far from the real business of TESOLing.

When talking about the real business of TESOL you can not be more wrong. Rolling Eyes Many of the textbooks, dictionaries, supplemental books/game books the TESOL world uses come from UK companies. Teacher training materials created by Cambridge University Press or Oxford are the meat of many cert courses. People in the know could name some of the british authors who are at the head of the TESOL world. Woodward, Willis, Widdowson--and these are only the Ws. The library at my American university, IN LOS ANGELES, which has a rich selection of TESOL materials, has more UK books than American. This world of publishing is just one aspect of the billions of pounds that the UK gets out of the business of TESOLing. Throw language schools into the mix and you are talking that much more money. In all likelihood, someone somplace that you meet abroad who speaks English would have been to England to learn it. Multiply that by the number of British English teachers who have taught the English learners of the world and I want to see how far the UK is from the REAL business of TESOLing.

b-boy
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: irony Reply with quote

b-boy,
It seems that you have not detected the irony in my message. The signal that I intend irony is in the use of "Murka" to mean "America".

I sentence you to return to 101 Writing class for one semester. Or failing that to keep your literary sensors switched on when reading texts written by adults.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: