Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academic Bridge Program?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesquite

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go back to work here but at least they do a good job.

Quote:
ABP graduates exhorted to chart own course

The Academic Bridge Programme, a centre of Qatar Foundation, graduated 224 students in its 11th batch at a ceremony on Saturday.
ABP director Dr Miles Lovelace described the class of 2012 as the most outstanding class academically in the institution�s history. They come from 22 different nationalities, including 69% females. As many as 83% of this year�s graduates are Qatari.The number one ranking student is a boy from Palestine-Jordan while the number two student academically is a Qatari girl.
As a group, more of these students are on the ABP Honour Roll than ever. At one marking period, for example, over 100 students achieved all A and B grades, and over a dozen students had perfect attendance. �Almost 30% of the graduates have been admitted to one or more of the Education City universities, a new record for the ABP,� Dr Lovelace said.
He predicted that around 90% of this year�s graduates will be admitted to one or more universities when all of the decisions about university admission in Qatar and in foreign universities are received.
Female graduates from ABP�s Class of 2012 pose for a group photo during their convocation ceremony on Saturday�That, too, is the highest percent in the past eleven years,� he added. In her keynote speech, ictQATAR consumer protection manager Dr Eiman Ali al-Ansari urged the graduates to be bold, chart their own course, don�t always do what is easiest and surround themselves with a network of truly good people.
Recalling that she had the privilege of being involved with the ABP from its very inception, the speaker recalled the words of QF chairperson HH Sheikha Moza bint Nasser.

The male graduates from ABP�s Class of 2012 �She said �tomorrow is rooted here,� when Qatar Foundation was a concept, and this campus was a desert. But Her Highness knew that even in a desert, one could grow something incredible,� recalled Dr Eiman. She said that when she graduated, Education City didn�t exist, and the opportunities for women to pursue higher education were much more limited. She graduated from Qatar University in Islamic Studies and took up an administrative assistant�s job there itself, though she was offered the job of a public relations manager elsewhere. I knew I wasn�t really ready to be a manager, and I also knew that it was really just a gifted title because I was an educated Qatari. This is not something I wanted at all.
�I accepted the administrative assistant position with Qatar University and committed myself to learning everything I could about the real world.
�This hard work paid off, and Qatar University agreed to sponsor me to pursue in the UK my Master�s degree in Education, and ultimately my PhD in the Economics and Politics of Education and Labour Markets. Subsequently Qatar Foundation asked for me to be seconded to them from Qatar University.
�It�s with Qatar Foundation that I started to work closely with young Qataris as they considered education and career options.� Dr Eiman was on the ABP board, worked with the Supreme Education Council Institute, at RasGas in the Qatar National Development Programme, and with Vodafone as community relations manager before taking up the current job. ABP student association president Ibrahim al-Rajhi and valedictorian Anas Karaki also spoke.

mesquite

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: ABP and German University Reply with quote

My old haunting grounds is moving up in the world. Good on you guys but I wouldn't want to work here again.

Quote:
ABP signs MoU with Germany university

ABP and Jacobs University officials at the MoU signing ceremony Qatar Foundation�s Academic Bridge Programme (ABP) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Jacobs University, Bremen, Germany.
Jacobs University will accept ABP graduates meeting the required criteria, directly into the first year of their degree programmes. This is the ninth such agreement ABP has entered into with foreign universities, including the University of Portsmouth, East Anglia University, Northumbria University and the University of Surrey. Jacobs University is a federally recognised private, American-style independent university in northern Germany, located between the larger cities of Amsterdam and Berlin. The language of instruction is English and most students at Jacobs University are from countries other than Germany.
The university awards Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in the natural sciences, engineering, humanities, and social sciences. Among the majors covered by the MoU are electrical engineering, computer science, biochemistry, cell biology, biotechnology, cognitive psychology and neuroscience, international politics, history, global economics and management, and information management. Approximately 1,200 students from over 100 countries are pursuing their studies at the university�s 80 acre tree-lined campus in northern Bremen. Over the past 11 years, the ABP has developed a strong academic programme that, together with its Student Services Department, prepares students well for English speaking

universities. ABP also developed a Learning Resource Centre (LRC) for tutoring students in math, science, computers and English. Courses are organised to help students on the IELTS, SAT and ACT. ABP has created �The English Room� to help students develop their English language skills. Students are assisted in their college preparations by a full-time college counsellor, Ellenore Hibon.
ABP director Dr Miles Lovelace, assistant director for academic affairs Dr Newmark, Hibon, Jacobs University vice president Dr Thorsten Thiel, and chief representative for the Middle East, Can Ikram participated in the signing ceremony.Dr Newmark stated that the MoU with Jacobs University �illustrates the high regard that universities have for ABP graduates.�
Hibon explained that such MoUs �provide a great opportunity for ABP students to further their studies and expand their horizons at reputable universities abroad.�The ABP is fully accredited by the Commission on English Language Accreditation, US, which makes it easier to fast-track ABP graduates into world-class universities.
blastermill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOHA: Foundation programmes in the Gulf have a particularly important role in areas such as improving English proficiency, expanding knowledge and skills and cultural literacy, according an expert.
Dr Mark Newmark, Assistant Director of the Academic Bridge Programme (ABP) of Qatar Foundation, in a presentation at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q), discussed challenges foundation programmes are facing in the Gulf.
It surveyed the gap between high school graduation and university readiness in the Gulf, outlining the scale of the gap and its components.
The presentation cited a number of sources, including student performance on the International English Language Testing System, the Programme for International Student Assessment and evidence from foundation programmes and universities in Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
The presentation stressed five areas in which foundation programs in the Gulf have a particularly important role � the improvement of English proficiency, expansion of content knowledge and skills, the cultivation of cultural literacy, the development of soft skills, and the fostering motivation.
A conversation followed the presentation, with representatives from different institutions asking evocative questions and sharing their experiences.
There was widespread enthusiasm for more dialogue between foundation programmes, between foundation programmes and schools, and between foundation programmes and universities.
The Peninsula

http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/226334-foundation-programmes-help-improve-english-says-abp-official.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: