Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: 2 Questions... Reply with quote

Hey

i would like 2 simple questions answered.

1) Do you require a degree to work in singapore? I do not have a degree, i have 13years schooling in australia (12 months Uni) and a TESOL.

2) Ok this one is a bit complicated i guess - i have heard some thing about the law in singapore in regards to same sex relationships. let me just say what i have heard is not good - can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks -
george
Micro67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions... Reply with quote

george31 wrote:

1) Do you require a degree to work in singapore? I do not have a degree, i have 13years schooling in australia (12 months Uni) and a TESOL.
No.

george31 wrote:
2) Ok this one is a bit complicated i guess - i have heard some thing about the law in singapore in regards to same sex relationships. let me just say what i have heard is not good - can anyone shed some light on this?
Lee Hsien Long has come out and said that homosexuals should be accepted in Singapore. I think you will find that legally you are in a good place, culturally you will likely face the same steriotypes, judgementalism and whatnot you have faced elsewhere.

www.sheltonsc.com has several staff who will be glad to see you.
mlomker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions... Reply with quote

george31 wrote:

The government recently denied a visa to a gay, religious singing duo. It just so happens that I have met the two singers in question, so I found it a little interesting. I didn't take it as being that big of a deal because even the government in the United States isn't exactly warm and fuzzy when it comes to gay people.

I'm expecting that living in Southeast Asia will require a little more discretion, but there are certainly gay folks out there. As a matter of fact, I met a flight attendant with Singapore Airlines when I was in Amsterdam a couple months ago.

http://mlomker.typepad.com/photos/amsterdam_feb_2005/joolee.html
MX5

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions... Reply with quote

george31 wrote:
Hey

i would like 2 simple questions answered.

No, but it certainly makes it easier for you to get a job here if you have one.
simple is best

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Opening up Reply with quote

I'm not gay so I can't say what it's like to be in a same sex relationship here. Some observations from what I've seen, I lived with a gay guy for 6 months and he has a very active social life, there's definitely a busy gay nightlife scene in Singapore.

Last year there was a same sex outdoor clubbing event held on Sentosa, forgot the name of it. More than 5000 people attended, made the news.

There's an increasing trend for young Singaporean women in same sex relationships to show their affections in public. From what I've seen, gay couples show more discretion in public.

I wouldn't say that Singapore will be an open, liberal nation in the making for a long time to come but things are changing and you shouldn't have too many concerns in this area.

I'd be more concerned about not having a degree. If you work for any reputable place, you'll eventually be asked to register as a teacher with the Ministry of Education. They will definitely want to see that you have a degree, eventhough your TESOL cert will be more relevant to your success as an ESL teacher. Some places and people might know ways around this and I'm sure some people are working here as teachers without degrees, but it might be troublesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: