Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL cert.......again??????????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersonic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: TEFL cert.......again?????????? Reply with quote

Advice needed!!
Hi,

I'm a 27 year old with a BA Hons degree in Political Science and a newbie in the TEFL world. I actually received my TEFL cert last June but then decided to put off any overseas job searches until I had my student loan paid off. I'm glad to say that I've finally done that Very Happy and I am ready to delve into TEFL again.

The problem is that I do not have any real teaching experiences except my practicum and a chance through a friend to teach her adult ESL class in a local college for a day.

I was looking further into teaching in Egypt (always wanted to teach in the ME) and came across the TEFL international certification course in Alex. I haven't applied to any schools in Egypt yet because I wasn't sure if I was qualified . The reason I say this is that my TEFL cert was only a 60 hour one with a teaching practicum. I know it's a stupid question but should I do the course again? I've read good things about it and just thought I would ask. After reading some posts, it seems that they try and help you find a job/accomodation etc after you succesfully complete the course.

Maybe it's better to travel there and try my luck that way? I'm not looking for high paying jobs as I know my lack of in class experience may hinder it. I'm not too worried about the culture shock/language barrier either as I've been to the ME and loved it!

anyways, any help/advice/suggestions are welcome! thanks/shukran in advance!
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a lack of experience, you will still be able to find a job, although they won't be the most high-paying or thrilling ones!! In your situation, I think the only thing that you might benefit from on the teaching course is maybe some of the methodology (which course was it you took last time?), and the help with accommodations/job after. Maybe get in touch with the guys and they can advise you.

The wonderful thing about Alex is the small number of ex-pat teachers. Therefore, there is always someone who will employ you. But, like I say, it's more likely to be in the language schools (which can be mind-numbing and very poorly paid). I'm not really sure what to suggest, beyond getting in touch with the school, and seeing what they say...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersonic,

I was hoping Sekhmet would show up. She always has good advice for people in situations like yours.

I only want to add that I think your idea of just going there and testing the waters would be your best choice. Then you can see if you really want or need to take a new course. (I could say that if you DO decide to take a second course, the best choice would be the CELTA - most widely accepted EFL cert)

Good Luck

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS - very true about the CELTA course. However, if SS comes to Egypt and finds he likes it, there is only the one course here!!! Plus, schools here are starting to get to know the course, or at least, they seem to!! I don't really think he would need another course, but if it's a name brand he's after, Trinity or CELTA are the best options.

Supersonic - what kind of teaching are you looking for? Kids? Adults? When are you coming out? Often, you can find better jobs by just wandering around and visiting some schools. Look me up when you get here, and I might be able to help!
supersonic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW guys thanks for the quick response! I knew I could count on you! I've seen your responses to other posts and you always have good advice!

Sekhmet to answer your questions: I took the TEFL/TESL course through Oxford Seminars here in Canada. I know the CELTA and Trinity certs are the most popular worldwide and I guess like some other newbie faults, I picked a shorter course and didn't fully research the best choices. I'm not bashing this course in anyway as I learned alot and received many resources but like you said, it's not a brand name.

As far as when I'm planning to come, if I choose to do the course in Alex I would probably pick one that's offered in July/Aug as I'm assuming that's the busy time for school hirings. Should I decide not to do the course and just travel there and wing it, then it'll probably be around the same time. I'll just have to prepare myself for the heat!

As far as teaching kids vs adults, I don't have a real preference. I know their learning needs and expectations are different but I guess I would feel more comfortable with adults. Are adult teaching jobs easier to find?

Incidentally, I'm female not male but don't worry I've been called worse

Laughing just kidding!!!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!! nothing new about being taken for a male on this board. In fact, I have been 'accused' of being men that I had worked or studied with in the past!! That was pretty funny.

If you want to just dive in and test the Middle East waters, Alex is a good choice - especially if you can touch base with Sekhmet and get her local advice. I'd do some teaching and see how it goes. If you want to advance, then think about trying the addition of the CELTA or maybe even an MA!! Shocked If you really enjoy the profession, you can go all the way and actually make some money!!

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money???? Saving???? What's that??????

I'm planning on my MA (Applied Linguistics), eventually, but I've got an amazing job here, and I certainly don't want to lose it any time soon!! Ok, so I don't earn much (2000LE in a good month), but I enjoy my life here.

Sorry Supersonic!!! I had to make a guess, and it was wrong... Embarassed This is why I have a nice, unambiguous name (Goddess of War?? Speaks for itself, don't it!!) - I seem to have gender-guessing issues all the time!!

I have heard of Oxford Seminars, actually. It looks like a good course. Like I said before, I'm not sure how much you'd get out of the TEFL International course, except the teaching practice. But there are schools here that hire all year round, and you can do any multiples of 6 weeks. I taught 2 courses with one of these schools, then dropped out as my workload for my main job grew. So if you're looking for experience before jumping in to a year-long contract, something like that may be the way to go.

In terms of school hiring here, July/August might not be the best time to start. If you come before that, you can get involved with summer schools, and then maybe get a contract with a school through that. The summer schools around here normally start at the beginning of June. Mine does, anyway!!

It's quite possible to teach adults AND kids. I do both on a regular basis, as do the majority of the Egyptian teachers I know here. It can involve long days, but it's worth it.

Let me know what you decide, and I might just be able to help out.
Have fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: