Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone offer any advice PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Can anyone offer any advice PLEASE Reply with quote

Hi I am a teacher in England looking to emigrate to NZ. Have been trying to find out info about what teaching vacancies and whether i would qualify but aren't really sure where to look. If anyone has got any ideas to start me in the right direction i would be so grateful. Thankyou Confused
ssean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teaching in state schools in New Zealand, here' s the best site www.edgazette.govt.nz
Good luck
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: thanks ssean Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. My teaching is in adult education post 16. will this site still be the best to try?
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try online editions of the NZ Herald and stuff.co.nz (especially the Wednesday and Saturday editions). I don't too often see adverts for adult education but always there are many adverts for early childhood educators. If you have a PGDE you are as good as gold.

As for the ESOL market, that has pretty much hit bottom.
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: thanks joseph Reply with quote

thanks for that info. i have just been reading the herald and have taken advice from ssean and am also looking at the edgazette site too but not much luck there as they are mainly for schools which i don't think i qualify to teach yet. i am doing a cert-ed course at the universityat the minute but i don't have a degree. the degree will take me another 4 years to achieve. will this be a problem do you think
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be a problem? Hard to say. What else can you do? Do you have a trade like construction, drainlaying, or IT skills? NZ has a bit of a labour crunch now and is actively seeking tradespeople.
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

i am qualified to teach IT, Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL are these any good Sad
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe. I know that some ESOL schools have branched out to offering a Business diploma and there seems to be some need for tutors, perhaps in IT.
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

do you know whether i would need to apply for and have a job offer first or apply for emigration first?
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't work for NZIS, but my understanding is that if you get a job offer they will look more kindly upon your application for permanent residency. I think that the points for PR are now at 100 and you would get at least 50 points for a job offer (contract and all that) and 50 points if you have a first degree. Extra points for experience, age, etc.
Anyhow, look at the New Zealand Government Immigration site. It's a pretty good, easy to use site.
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I really appreciate all of your help. I was just starting to look at the gov site so hopefully, i might get some where now. Have also looked at the Stuff site which i have found very interesting. thanks once again for your time, its really appreciated
ssean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the kind of job you're looking for the nz herald is probably the best, like the other guy says some of the esol schools are branching out and diversifying because students are so thin on the ground at the moment. numbers from China have dropped to one tenth the number of three years ago and schools are closing all over 70 in the last year alone. We've recently taken on one new teacher who was on a temporary work visa and is applying for PR from here.
laners

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

there's also a very good website that I don't think anyone mentioned here yet - www.teachnz.govt.nz - plenty of information and useful links Smile

good luck!
Lynda Harbord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks to all of you who have supplied me with information to get me off the ground. I have been looking at all the web sites you have provided and have found some really interesting information. Too much to take all in at the moment.

Has any one heard of the Cert-ed which is a course in England which is a higher teaching qualification? This is a Level 6 qualification which enables me to teach 14 plus. Does any one know whether this qualification would also enable me to teach 14 plus in New Zealand?

Thanks once again for your help to my previous questions
laners

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

for qualifications comparison and stuff look at www.nzqa.govt.nz - that's NZ qualification authority website, they can "officially" assess your qualifications to compare them to the NZ ones and let you know whether or not you're suitable for teaching in NZ schools.

hope that helps Smile Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: