Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "skinny" on College of the North Atlantic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: cna-q Reply with quote

telephone interview first and then video conference, if possible, for second interview. They have also brought a few people to Qatar for interviews I believe.
Gnome

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to have been some debate about the number of staff who are re-signing their contracts or resigning their positions. If you look at the website mentioned in the thread, you will see a very long list of available positions for this September, including the Chair of the EFL Department. If you cross reference it with the CNA-Qatar website and their faculty list, you will see that there is a great exodus happening. So, who should we believe? Is the staff being overworked and disgruntled, or are they just completitng their 3 year contract and heading back to the Rock for some well-earned sanity?
lukey

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: CNA-Q Reply with quote

The college is trying to recruit about 50 new ESL Instructors for September because of a growth in programs - total recruitment needs are around 150. The student population will be almost doubling - from 950 to around 1700 - 1800. The ESL Chair position is a new position because the department has grown so much. Around 25 employees whose 3 year contracts are up have been offered two year extensions but are waiting for new contracts to be offered. I think most want to return, but they are obviously waiting to see the new conditions. Some of the 20 or so employees whose 3 year contracts are up and have not been offered extensions would like to stay. In the past year and I am sure in the future a fair number of the new employees are from other parts of Canada, not from the Rock.
nowasta

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 people have not been renewed. That is roughly 1/2 the teachers. Why were so many people let go? That seems high...even when compared to some of the places around the region that have a reputation for frequently firing large numbers of staff. Don't know if I'd want to be a teacher about to start a contract at this place. The odds don't seem to be too good.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it is still a place to avoid if you can. Too much bad press in the past (pretty much all bad actually). If after this length of time, they are still having to cull half of their staff annually... let's just say that their 'competance level' still sounds poor.

But I guess for an inexperienced Canadian desperate for a job, it is a place to get a paycheck for a few years until they fire you and replace you with another batch of newbies. There are worse places to live than Doha.

VS
lukey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: cna-q Reply with quote

there are about 150 instructors at cna-q - so 20 is not exactly half of the teachers! and the 20 that are leaving all have jobs back at cna-newfoundland.
nowasta

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify...lukey said in your previous post that 150 teachers were being brought in NEXT YEAR. You ONLY made mention of the 25 or so that were being retained and the 20 or so that were not. You made no mention of what faculties they worked for and who had been offered jobs back in Newfoundland. Go back, re-read your post and be more specific next time.
lukey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: CNA-Q Reply with quote

ok. point taken - Here are the specific numbers.
There are 150 instructors at CNA-Q this year - 50 in ESL - the rest are in Business,IT, Engineering and Health Sciences. Next year they are seeing a huge growth in programs and student base. Requirements for year starting September 2005 are approx. 50 additional new ESL Instructors - which will bring that department to around 100 ESL Instructors. and another 50 or 60 additional Instructors required in the other faculties. And then about 50 Support Staff and Management positions are new- bringing the total to around 150 positions required. Regarding ESL - great paying job - probably better than anywhere - and the working conditions are generally pretty good.
Gnome

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interview with CNA-Qatar in the near future and thanks to Lukey's information, I am not concerned about working there. And, if you have read my past postings about CNA-Qatar, you might be surprised by the change of heart.

However, it sounds a bit intense for me and not the typical "laid-back" approach that I usually prefer in the Middle East. But, for the very good salary they are offering, I am willing to adapt. Afterall, what else is there to do in Doha, except throw yourself into the work?

I am also hoping that after 3 years of operating in Qatar, they have worked out the major bugs, got rid of the deadwood, and actually know what they are doing, contrary to their past performance. But, perhaps I am being optimistic. The fact that they are interviewing, and this time hopefully hiring, EFL Instructors from other parts of Canada, bodes well for the program or "programme," if you like.

As well, I can understand why people won't be signing up for another 3 years. Some would obviously be "deadwood," but many more are probably just glad to leave and go home. Who can blame them? Three years in Doha is enough for most people.

My question to Lukey is: Are they really going to move into their new facilities at the Education City for this September? Is the Education City finally completed? Or will the CNA be operating out of the old high school building near the race track, which will be very crowded if the anticipated student body and staff increase as promised?
Gnome

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of another question that perhaps Lukey can answer.

With all the staff that is being hired for September, what will be done about accommodations? Three years ago there were many problems with the building that was being renovated for the staff. Are there any decent apartment buildings available in Doha or are the new staff going to have to share accommodations? Or, worse yet, are they going to have to find their own accommodations? And, if so, how easy will that be?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary is high, but don't you guys have to pay Canadian taxes? I expect that takes about a 25% bite?

VS (just curious... I can almost walk to the border from where I am, but they won't give me a passport. Laughing )
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The salary is high, but don't you guys have to pay Canadian taxes? I expect that takes about a 25% bite?

VS (just curious... I can almost walk to the border from where I am, but they won't give me a passport. Laughing )

VS,
I think I read somewhere that if you are a non-resident of Canada prior to worlking there, you don't pay any Cdn taxes. Someone please correct me though. If not, the tax rate would be above 35%, so you would want to be looking at about $70,000 CDN to make it worthwhile. I'm not sure what the slary range is, maybe Lukey could fill us in.
lukey

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: cna-Q Reply with quote

answer to the questions -as far as I know

yes - moving to new campus in August

yes- furnished accomodation is provided - in Doha these days that is becoming an increasingly valuable benefit

yes- the salary makes it worthwhile re taxes
nowasta

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukey, I appreciate your honesty and willingness to discuss the situation at the College of the North Atlantic. I too have a few questions:

1. You mentioned that the housing is furnished. Is it an improvement to the earlier places they were putting teachers in?

2. I was told they have a special deal with the Canadian government and will tax people at 25% unless they are Non-residents prior to arriving. What if people receive non-residendcy status after starting at CNA-Qatar? Will they not be taxed from that point on or is it something that must be done prior to taking up employment?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
lukey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: cna-q Reply with quote

yes, accomodations are vastly improved over first year - that building has been demolished. Now villas and apartments

Yes, you can get residency after you arrive - read the Revenue Canada information on-line - tells you a lot - learn about it yourself, don't rely on the college - it is such a grey area. This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: