Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Do TEFL at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Why Do TEFL at all? Reply with quote

I am currently doing tefl teaching in China. I am having a fantastic time, don't get me wrong, but as a long-term job prospect it isn't that great.

The salary DOES afford me a lifestyle I wouldn't have as a beginner teacher in the UK, I can buy many DVDs, eat out lots, get taxis everywhere. However, there is a ceiling of 10,000 yuan a month at most I could get, maybe 15,000 if I'm very, very lucky. Its good at a local level but not if I want to travel etc etc.

On the other hand, if I go back to the UK, and do a PGCE (teacher training) that will open the door to really fantastically-paying jobs in many countries around the world. If I had known this when I graduated I would have gone straight to do a PGCE, which unlike the CELTA course which I had to pay through the nose for, is paid for by the UK government. I thought at the time that with a PGCE you could only get a job in the UK, so you needed to do TEFL to travel abroad.

So why Tefl rather than conventional teacher training, when the latter comes cost free and opens the door to far better job opportunities in places like Hong Kong, and international schools the world over?

I assume this applies to schools in Europe too.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I'm at now. In for a year and a half. GOing to Peru for a year and a half this Aug. Then hopefully do a Grad Dip in Austrlia to become a primary teacher and work in Christian international schools in China and make more money!
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="naturegirl321"]That's where I'm at now. In for a year and a half. GOing to Peru for a year and a half this Aug. Then hopefully do a Grad Dip in Austrlia to become a primary teacher and work in Christian international schools in China and make more money![/quote]

Sounds like a good plan. I might well stay in China long term as my fiancee is here and doesn't want to go to England, but I'd need to get an International School job to really be able to afford to buy a decent house, raise a family etc.
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I'm intrigued, which fantastic jobs exactly do you mean?
I have a PGCE (although not in English, in Science). I've often wondered what I could do with it. Teaching in England .. err no thanks, tried that for 3 years (2 too many really) and it just isn't worth it, not for me anyway.

Do you mean 'International Schools'? Is the pay really that great? I am always somewhat put off, e.g. the ethos of these schools, rich spoilt kids, the whole private school mentality. Maybe I'm just being negative?

Please, give more details on what you mean!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxwing wrote:
Please, I'm intrigued, which fantastic jobs exactly do you mean?
I have a PGCE (although not in English, in Science). I've often wondered what I could do with it. Teaching in England .. err no thanks, tried that for 3 years (2 too many really) and it just isn't worth it, not for me anyway.

Do you mean 'International Schools'? Is the pay really that great? I am always somewhat put off, e.g. the ethos of these schools, rich spoilt kids, the whole private school mentality. Maybe I'm just being negative?

Please, give more details on what you mean!

Pay varies for international schoools, can be less than 1000 uSD a month or more than 2000, depending on the school and experience.
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ng Smile Well, that is a big range.. I mean, you can make 1K/month without too much difficulty in several countries (Eastern Europe, Asia) doing bog-standard TEFL work, not necessarily huge hours. I guess I was wondering if someone who'd worked in that kind of environment could say what it's like Question
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a combination of a PGCE in a shortage subject, where you get a payment, and a TEFLCert then you should be set for an enjoyable career. If it's money and only money your after then forget it. If you are looking for a balance of seeing the world, comfortable living and then opportunities in the UK once you've moved up the ladder then it's definitely possible. The problem is just going back to the UK with 4 or 5 years experience. You really need to go back as an administrator, trainer, or lecturer etc with the Masters in the bag. Even if you're not intending to go back there are opportunities but get that PGCE. Then you can even go for a Euro Schools contract - worth it's weight in gold!
ejw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waxwing wrote:
Quote:

"Please, I'm intrigued, which fantastic jobs exactly do you mean?
I have a PGCE (although not in English, in Science). I've often wondered what I could do with it. Teaching in England .. err no thanks, tried that for 3 years (2 too many really) and it just isn't worth it, not for me anyway."

Waxwing. You are lucky because math and science teachers are in demand. Pick any country and city in the world and check out the international schools in that area. I'll bet you won't have many problems finding work as a math/science teacher assuming you apply early enough before the following school year. I was getting $13 an hour four years ago to substitute teacher at a local international school here in Gothenburg, Sweden. The regular teachers made more, of course. I had mostly math and science courses and I was barely qualified to teach them. At that school most of the teachers were Brits and most of the children were a mixture of all nationalities. The school has a good reputation and I think it was a nice place to work.

Good luck.
EJW
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to that, when I was in Yangshuo recently I met someone who works in Shanghai. He said that International Schools there pay at least 2000 USD a month, and with a bit of experience nearer 3000. Now, even though Shanghai is more expensive than other places in China, on that sort of money you could still have a great time and save money. Its certainly a fortune in Chinese standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: