Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Melbourne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petite76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Jobs in Melbourne Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm on my way to Melbourne beginning of May, and wondering if anyone knows what the ESL market is like down there at the moment? I'm currently in Sydney and haven't been able to get anything but relief work (which I can't afford as i need to work more than 2 days a week!) for about a month. My qualification is not a CELTA, but I've got 150 hours now of teaching experience.

Katherine
moot point

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

What kind of competition are you up against in terms of qualifications and experience?

More particularly in my instance, a non-Aussie with a BSC from a Canadian Uni. and an MA in English Teaching from University of London's Institute of Education and over 12 years experience in Japan doing every kind of ESL job you could imagine. How would I fair?
Winmarr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job availability fluctuates depending on how many people come over here to study, not surprisingly. Not sure how it is at the moment. Try Melbourne College of Technology on Lonsdale St. I did a bit of teaching there, and they were often looking for teachers.

Those with a bit more experience could also try the universities. There are other language schools in Melbourne; perhaps send them a letter. Most probably want at least a CELTA though. Have a look at www.elicos.com.au.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's tough.

I went into Brisbane and looked through the phone book.
Called tons of schools and all I could get was "On-Call" teaching opportunities.

Non one was interested in helping me with a visa and I could not find any full-time work with guaranteed hours or a contract.

I called schools in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney.

If you get a full time job or even part-time with guaranteed hours and someone willing to help you with getting a visa - then I would say that you're very lucky!

I learned that it is best to be an ELT in non-English speaking countries, so I ended up back in Asia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: