Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is Auckland like?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: what is Auckland like? Reply with quote

I am a Canadian thinking of moving to Auckland to teach high school math, and perhaps some ESL.

Would someone mind with a few questions?

What's the weather like in Auckland? I don't care if its chilly, but is there lots of sunshine year round?

What's the lifestyle like?

Finally, would a Canadian feel "at home" and welcome? I feel most at home in cosmopolitan sophisticated cities, a fave being San Francisco.

Thanks!
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auckland is often quite wet and breezy, but the weather is generally mild. The joke in NZ (weak and overused, mind you) is that if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.
Other bits about Auckland, let's see...the traffic is diabolical, really a pain. There is a lot of car theft, graffitti and vandalism is quite common. Boy racers and their over amplified cars are a constant annoyance (but that's New Zealand wide, really).
On the upside, there are quite a few opportunities for involving yourself in sport as this is a sports-mad country. Plenty of dance clubs if that's your fancy. If you like cooking, the ingredients are top rate.
Would a Canadian feel at home? As much as anyone else, I imagine. Not much in the way of ice hockey though...
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: sounds nice Reply with quote

Well, Joe, thanks for the info.

Is is easy to find a good co-ed health club that has a good weight room and some squash courts? That's how I spend a lot of evenings.

I am a single boy, and so would like to meet some nice sporting females.

What is the ethnic mix in Auckland? Oh, and do they get a lot of sunshine? Gloom is depressing.
JosephP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: sounds nice Reply with quote

Crazy Eagle wrote:
Well, Joe, thanks for the info.

De nada.

Quote:
Is is easy to find a good co-ed health club that has a good weight room and some squash courts? That's how I spend a lot of evenings.

I have never belonged to a gym, co-ed or otherwise, but I imagine that such facilities are well supplied. The Wave, a sports facility in Henderson out in the western suburbs has a pretty good sporting facility.

Quote:
I am a single boy, and so would like to meet some nice sporting females.

Ha, you're on your own there, pal.

Quote:
What is the ethnic mix in Auckland?

I'm guessing here, but maybe 15-20% Polynesian, 10% or so East Asian (maybe higher), quite a few people from the sub-continent, a smattering of of Somalians and people from other places. The rest seem to be Pakeha (European).
Quote:
Oh, and do they get a lot of sunshine? Gloom is depressing.

This past summer started off pretty badly but the past few months have been a real corker. But yeah, winter can get wet and grey. But you'll find the odd stupendously bright fine breaks here and there in winter.
mr.bojangles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auckland is shit. Hardly anyone there is happy, too busy thinking about making money. A miserable place with cheap and filthy Chinese restaurants. The city is poorly designed, too spread out and the public transportation is the pits. In pales in comaparison to other cities such as Wellington which is a lot more friendlier, and Chtistchurch. Dunedin is the place to be for students. Also Australia is a good place to study. KLO is an outfit I believe in Canada that recruits students in beautiful metropolises like Melbourne.
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: don't beat around the bush mate Reply with quote

Well, Mr Bojangles (if that is your real name) I had to read between the lines, but I think I get what you are trying to say. Nice pic, by the way. Somehow, you're picture is strangely familiar. You're not some South East Asian tinpot dictator by any chance, are you? Trying to masquarade as a Bob Dylan fan? Hah! I knew it!

Well, is there anywhere in NZ that is at least somewhat cosmopolitan, with lots of sunshine year round, and not too small? Someplace a person would not be bored stiff in the off-hours?

I would like to go to Oz, but immigration seems killer.

Crazy Eagle
JosephP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Eagle,

I think Mr Bojangles was not too far off the mark concerning Auckland. It does have its nice bits, but the negatives often outweigh the positives. Mr Bojangles also offered some reasonable alternatives. If you can get the work Wellington would be a good place to set up in. It has quite a good cultural infrastructure, sports facilities, and loads of bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes. Christchurch isn't half bad and Dunedin does have a lively university scene.
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Wellington Reply with quote

I did some research, and Wellington does seem quite nice. More sunshine, less rain, more culture, better public tran than Auckland.

Population only about half a million, though, kinda small.

But, we will see what opps become available in the future. Wellington remains a distinct possibility. Thank you everyone!
mr.bojangles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Wellington is half a million which is actually large for goold 'ole NZ, but there is more to do here than in Auckland. The city is big into the arts and sports. Downtown is compact and easy to get around whereas Auckland is not. Wellengton would be best compared to as Melbourne which has been compared to Montreal.
I can get you info on teaching in Canberra Au which does not have the best reputation...
dialogger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington is certainly on my 'must get to' list but the information I have is that the jobs are in the north ie Auckland.
A useful dream enhancer I use when contemplating a move is to put the Weather Underground pages for the place I am and the place I might wanna be on my 'Favourites' list and log in from time to time.
'If I was in (xx) now I would be enjoying (yy weather)'
ambernz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just arrived back in NZ from Vietnam, and i'm suffering from the cold! But I am in Wellington, and it is still as beautiful as ever. I stopped in Auckland before coming down (acclimatising) and did have a really good time there, and it is warmer but its difficult to get around and really expensive (although everywhere is after SEA). If you are thinking of moving here it is worth remembering that if you are willing to live outside of Auckland you get a few more of those precious immigration points, and if you are wanting to teach maths you would be welcome almost anywhere in the country.
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the good info! I did hear that teachers in NZ are not paid very well ... donno, how do they live? It depends of course on the cost of living. I guess I could teach at a community college or something.
JosephP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

Crazy Eagle wrote:
Hey, thanks for the good info! I did hear that teachers in NZ are not paid very well ... donno, how do they live? It depends of course on the cost of living. I guess I could teach at a community college or something.
Crazy Eagle,
I think you are still in the dreaming stage. Why not come down to NZ and hang out for a few months and get a sample of living here and getting the lay of the land, so to speak, and then I believe you'd be better equipped on whether to make the decision to live and work in NZ.
Hey, don't get me wrong, good things do start with dreams.
Amari

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Auckland vs. everywhere else Reply with quote

Hi there,
speaking as a former Aucklander (yes, there's a reason why it's former), i just had to add my 2 cents to the debate.
I lived in Wellington for 3 years, Auckland for 16 years, and have been living in Dunedin for the last 2.

The thing i've found with myself and alot of people i know who are from Auckland but live in Dunedin is that you think Auckland is a great place until you actually live somewhere else.

When I go back now I get so frustrated at traffic, poor town planning, the attitude of aucklanders (now I am generalising HUGELY). However, when I lived in Auckland I thought it was great- good shopping, good bars and clubs, restaurants, beautiful beaches, hiking etc (And i came from 'the wrong side of the tracks'- the place where most of the vandalism and graffitti happens).

'Good' neighbourhoods if you like the cosmopolitan kind of feel would be Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Parnell, Newmarket- but they can be outrageously expensive.

The weather is generally a lot nicer than a lot of places (Wellington is bloody windy, Dunedin bloody cold), and there is, in theory at least, a lot to do there. Just depends whether you can be bothered getting there.....

I would suggest Wellington-public transport, compared to Auckland, is ridiculously easy. They also have a better arts scene and, i imagine, a good music scene.

You're also really close to the Marlborough sounds and Picton- (in my opinion)- the most beautiful places in the country.

Unless you are a student and like getting drunk 24/7, avoid Dunedin.

Just been to Chch on a few holidays, it would be my pick to live in if I wasn't livin here.

But then again...I know nothing about the TESL market here....don't know what the opportunities are like...

But do your research,talk to people, and no matter where you end up, i'm sure you'll love it- how could you not love this country?!!
Good luck with what ever you decide
kerrilee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Auckland for 3 1/2 years and Wellington for a year - Auckland was a pain, I had to buy a car really early on because the public transport sucked. It was also a pain to drive around too though. I saw the light and moved to Wellington, which, despite being smaller, actually had a much better vibe and I found it a lot easier to settle. The only reason I left was I was offered a lot more money to finally work in Canada which I had been trying to do for years.........................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: