Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supply Teaching Hiring Procedures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShrewsburyPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Supply Teaching Hiring Procedures Reply with quote

I plan on moving to the UK in a couple months from the US and ideally would like to have a job lined up beforehand. Im looking into supply teaching because Ive done the job in the US for about a year. Not something I want to do long-term, of course but when I saw advertised rates of �135 for 5.5 hour days, my interest grew.

I have citizenship in an EU country so no problem moving. I also have a bachelor's degree.

So about a month ago I sent about six resumes out just to see if I'd get any response and almost immediately I got six enthusiastic replies all saying that they'd find me jobs. But I got the impression that they were all agencies so they probably give positive replies to everyone.

Id rather not deal with an agency, so is there any way to deal directly with the schools? And if so, what difference in pay/quality would there be with dealing with an agency versus directly with the school? Also, I thought that you needed a degree in education to be a supply teacher (something I dont have), but every one of these supply teacher positions I applied for got a positive response so I dont know if thats the case.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point about supply is fulfilling a temporary demand even if that might be extended for weeks/months in some cases. I don't think any school is going to commit to someone they don't know who is currently across the Atlantic, and when they don't know themselves what levels of temporary cover they're going to need. Once you are in situ then you can start building up relationships with individual schools who know you are local, reliable, competent and available.

Perhaps you need to decide where you want to go and then start via one of the agencies. I think you'll be lucky if any school commits direct.
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK is beyond desperate for Secondary School (High School) teachers, that's why you got six out of six positive responses. Demand heavily outweighs supply. You could apply directly to the schools once you're here and set up, the newspapers are full of jobs. Agencies aren't a bad deal either as you wouldn't even have to work a full week to live more than comfortably.

There is a reason why no one wants to teach here of course. It's little more than glorified crowd control in most places. If you have the relevant qualifications to teach in the US then you'll be fine here. I don't know what you expect of the British education system but the kids will give you a much harder time here.
ShrewsburyPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I figured it would be unlikely to get any response at all from these places since Im not in the country and have no definite plans of moving, but thats not what happened. I dont want to teach at all in the long term, but Im just looking at supply teaching until Im in the country and can start looking for a job that I actually want.

I doubt highly that the kids in England would be any worse than what Ive experienced here, though. They were all pretty nasty inner city schools that I worked in.

Also, I dont think that being able to do the job in the US means you can do it in the UK. All you need is a high school diploma in many school districts to be a substitute (supply) teacher.

But yes, I guess Ill look into an agency first. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: