Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living In Kuwait for 6 Months

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetPea_1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Living In Kuwait for 6 Months Reply with quote

My Husband might take a contract over there in Kuwait, working on a Post, My question is this:
Can me and the kids (ages 12 and 16) go over there and stay with him while he is over there, I have the letter on consent for the youngest and have the pages booked marked for the passport, What about Visa do we need them and how do we get them?, also Would like to know if we need medical records and shot records.
Thanks to whom ever responds. Also one more thing Could I get a job over there too? Smile Confused Wink
souk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all have American passports you can get a visa at the airport. However:
1)What housing is he getting?
2) Schooling is expensive.Who will pay. Will a school take them for this short period. Most schools close from early June until Sept. It is VERY hot.What will you all do all day?
3) You may be advised to have certain jabs but there are none to my knowledge that are required for entry
4) You will not have a work visa. You might find a job but it could necessitate you leaving the country to convert your visa. Schools are the best bet as they are always looking for classroom assistants and the hours are good.

Bottom line, don't go until your husband has made a decision as to whether he is going to extend, and perhaps just go on a holiday visit in the first instance
SweetPea_1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Kuwait cont...... Reply with quote

My Husband is already over there working, oops I forgot to mention that, he will be coming home june1 2005 and IF there is another contract. As for schooling, I could get a tutor, and we would be staying with Husband at the resort/hotel he stays at.
That is why I was asking all these questions this is his Second time over there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetPea

Has he talked to his company about this? They would seem to be the ones who would know. I would find taking the kids over for only 6 months rather disruptive of their schooling. I don't know how you would find some tutor with ability to teach such disparate age groups. It is not as though 12 and 16 year olds are studying the same things. You'd probably need a bunch of 'tutors.'

The months from April through November are too hot to go outside weather (especially coming from Colorado). They will be totally bored.

VS
SweetPea_1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: kuwait cont...... Reply with quote

Thank you for information,I have recently found out that another guy and his wife with kids went over there just got there on sunday, and the company has no problems with it at all, as for my kids, they wouldnt be too bored..ya gotta know them, and from june to sept is the summer months over there for kids to be out of school, one of my main questions was about shot records/medical records. where my husband is staying right now there is a pool and lots af activities for kids to do things,.
but i do thank all of you for any information,
Sweetpea_1 Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpea,

The only reason that you might need medical records would be if you were going to enroll them in a school. Other than that, just make sure that their normal shots are up to date - the most important for traveling anywhere in the world are Tetanus and Hepatitis. (especially if you will be spending most of the time in a hotel...)

I hope they have plenty of indoor activities as it will be around 120 degrees in the daytime and many nights it doesn't get below 90. Take LOTS of good sunblock. Cool And keep them out of the 'noonday sun' - early mornings and late late afternoons only.

One problem may be that all expats leave Kuwait in the summer - as do most of the Kuwaitis too - as soon as their schools close for summer holidays... so there will be fewer kids around than normal for them to interact with.

VS
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the greatest respect to 'veiledsentiments' many of us are here all summer long. IMHO it is the best time of the year, that is, if you have access to a swimming pool and beach. We swim every afternoon, all of the Malls are air-conditioned, and these days there is lots to do. With the population climbing close to 3 million things have changed greatly in the last couple of years. I would think the six months would be the greatest education your children are likely to get. whether in school or out.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fred - long time no see..,

Yes, but few of the kids will be there as most families get the heck out in the summer. Personally you couldn't get me outside at that time of year for HUGE amounts of money. Laughing

I'd have to say that if I wanted my kids to get a great experience and learn about the world... a five star hotel in Kuwait City would be waaaaaaaayyy down the list of places that I would take them.

ugh... just my opinion, of course... found it a rather dull, ugly place... almost as ugly as Cairo without the culture, excitement, or history. But, glad to hear that it has improved from a few years back.

VS
SweetPea_1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Kuwait cont again........ Reply with quote

The Way I look at it as someone that has never ever been outside of the USA not even to Canada, and How much already Crying or Very sad Miss my husband,(he is my only and bestest best friend) Crying or Very sad I would rather go there and stick it out then to stay in for 6 months without him, I Honestly Pray that he will not have this contract, and that VA gives him a higher rating, These Question I have asked were In Case . I do so thanks for all the input it helps me out to know the country better. G.B you all and thanks for all the input, I like the input. at least i have recieved more discussion on this website.
Sweetpea_1
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happens or whatever you decide to do, good luck sweetpea!!

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: