Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson plan input, please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QueenSerenity42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Lesson plan input, please Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have my AEON interview on Monday and I would just like some input on my basic lesson plan.

I'm planning on doing descriptions (tall, short, etc.) as a vocabulary lesson. This is more of a high-beginner/low-intermediate lesson (I recall that these descriptions always came fairly far in to any language classes I took).

As the written plan goes, I introduce the words and define them/describe them. Then play a short tape with a conversation using the words and have the students listen closely to how they are used.

Next, I'd have them practice by setting up some pictures and having them describe the people/objects. (He is tall; the box is wide; the puppy is small; etc.)

Then we'd play a game much like Taboo - I give each student a couple of cards with a word and two or three words that they can't use as they try to get their "classmates" to guess the word on their card. Each "student" would give clues for one word, then the next student goes, etc. so everyone gets a chance at clue-giving and each guessed word gets the clue-giver a small prize (candy).

For the actual 5 minute presentation, I was thinking of doing the Taboo game.

Does this sound like a good plan, or should I try something else? (like the pictures for practice) Feedback would be much appreciated. ^_^

Thanks!

QS42
Celeste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with your plan is that the vocabulary you describe is low beginner vocabulary and the game you describe requires at least an intermediate level speaking ability. (I have no idea whether or not the AEON people will pick up on this or not.)
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I have no idea whether or not the AEON people will pick up on this or not.)

AEON people will pick up on that. They were all teachers before.

If you wish to teach vocabulary then go with a simple PPP format. Present the vocabulary using picture flashcard that introduce the words in sentenses. Follow it up with a natural(ish) situation dialog in which they have to substitute the words into the dialog. (You can leave the pictures displayed to give the students hints of what to say.) Finally, model a situation similar to the one they practiced with a student. You can give them a basic format to use, but not too many hints. Have them practice and gradually remove all clues as they go. For the actual 5 minute lesson go with steps 1 and 2. For the larger plan, include a listening activity and maybe a dialog or reading activity.

AEON likes all English too be taught in context to how it is used in real life. In addition be super friendly and positive and ask a lot of questions to illicit student responses in relation to the exercize.
QueenSerenity42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the game would still work with more complicated descriptions? (like subjective stuff - attractive, revolting, etc.) Those would require at least intermediate skills... I think.

I really just don't want to end up doing the same old boring thing that everyone else does. I'd rather stand out from the group by doing my presentation a little different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: