Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to bring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: What to bring Reply with quote

Here's a newbie question for you seasoned TEFLers: how in the world did you go about packing for your very first TEFL venture? Okay, obviously I will need clothes appropriate for teaching and for the local climate, and common sense says pack light. And it's a given I'll need my passport, copy of college diploma, CV, etc etc. But are there any essential items that looking back now you remember thinking, &%*$#! I should have brought...(insert missing item here)? Suggestions are much appreciated as I'm leaving for Latin America later this summer, and I haven't yet found anything on this topic in these forums.
Very Happy
Melissa
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Take Enough Money or Credit Cards Reply with quote

Seriously.Do not get yourself stuck...in Latin America...or anywhere.Do not believe they will actually pay you until you see the money in your hand.Take enough (or at least a credit card)so you can leave quickly...if you have to.Otherwise,you will probably need to be more specific if you want suggestions from people.Latin America covers a very large area.

I assume you are serious...and not some troll?
Alitas

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring plenty of your favorite make-up. I haven't been able to find good prices (or good variety?)on drugstore brands, and for higher end make-up you will pay dearly. This goes for perfume as well.

Also, bring classy yet comfy shoes. No old lady shoes and no tennis shoes for teaching. Even if you can wear jeans to work, the shoes make the woman! And GOOD shoes are hard to find at times...I like Clark's, Aerosoles, Rockport, JNY...

At one school, the teachers all had a nice uniform that they had tailors make at the beginning of the year. They picked a fabric and everyone had the same suit. You may encounter this which will make life easier.

If you like having your hair colored, bring your favorite colors and plan on bringing them to the salon. I had a girlfriend who used to get me colors at a salon supply store in the States. Some countries do it this way.

I know these are mostly girly items....what can I say....

Where will you be going in Latin America?
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underarm deoderant and female private wash (know what I mean?)
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Send me the money Reply with quote

Dear M.K.
Perhaps not in the " bring-with-you " category ( I just don't know what's available in Ltin America and what's not ), but don't forget to set up some kind of system for paying your bills ( e.g. credit cards ) and for sending and/or receiving money. Financial matters need to be attended to before you go; once you're there, it can be quite a hassle, otherwise.
Regards,
John
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: take care of your documents Reply with quote

Get some laminated laser copies of your certificates - they look exactly like the originals and the lamination gives them good protection.
Write down the number and relevant details of your passport and keep it in a safe place separate to where you keep your passport - then if your passport is lost or stolen, then you have the details to take to your embassy for a replacement. (do likewise if you carry traveller's cheques - note the numbers and keep in a separate place).
If you come here to the Middle East, bring lots of passport photos.Your employer usually asks for multiple copies for various documents such as visas and labour cards (and for a liquor licence here in Oman).
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: KISS Reply with quote

Dear MK:

It's a very fair question. I think in my own experience, I've always had the bad habit of trying to bring TOO much stuff along, thinking that the place I'm going will be some kind of no-man's-land.

Generally speaking, I'd advocate the Keep It Simple Stupid approach. (aka KISS) Unless you're going to a really strange and restrictive place, or way out into the 'boonies', you will find 95% of everything you need when you arrive in your new city.

In some countries, like Korea, it is true that you can walk into a hundred shops and not find any deodorant, but that IS an exception.

By keeping your baggage weight down, you will also have less hassles with the new and much stricter 9.1.1 airline security ... and you will avoid excess baggage charges. I'll give you a horrific example: When I left Korea 3 years ago, I had to pay $300 to check a third suitcase. (only 2 were allowed by the airline) I was waaaay over the 30kg. limit, and I learned my lesson the hard way.

i.e., You can buy a lot of NEW stuff for $300, so why was I paying an extra $300 to lug all this crappy used stuff to Russia?

One thing that HAS come in handy over the years, which I brought along from the USA, was a good Swiss Army knife. From opening a bottle of wine to trimming your toe nails to repairing the little things in your new apartment ... it has been a lifesaver so many times I've lost count.

Just my 2 cents for ya. Good luck, Amigo Exclamation

Yours,
keNt
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to lug my laptop computer with me, where ever I go, but I don't really travel light by any stretch of the imagination. I also like to make sure to have plenty of photos of the homeland and the family to use in classes. I generally bring a few brand new unworn clothing items for emergencies (pantyhose still in the package, bra still in the package, new white shirt) just in case I should find myself needing to look spiffy on a moment's notice and have had a laundry or repair problem. Then again, thise are thigs that I have at home too. I am big on food from home. I bring all sorts of little goodies with me or have them mailed as care packages. Remember, a lot of food items mail okay in the winter but don't survive too well in the summer (ie cheese, chocolate). I really like Zakiah's tip about the laminated colour photocopies of certificates. I think I'll get that done this week. I also have to agree with Kent about the swiss army knife- essential for moving into dilapidated housing! (I also have a leatherman-multitool that travels with me)
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to read, bring some books. If your luggage is over weight, arrange with a friend to have them shipped.

bring pictures of you, your family, your life to show your students
Roger

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOur location is Colourado? Don't know such a country. Maybe in Latin America? Forgive my ignorance, but the most important luggage you must bring to anywhere is: Stamina!
I suppose that's what you have acquired in your exotic current TEFL paradise!
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who will benefit from these tips.

I'm headed to Costa Rica in August, so that gives me a couple months to prepare. I'm covered as far as emergency funds (I'm fully expecting and prepared for a slow start while I look for work), and I'm not TOO much of a "girly-girl", although I certainly do appreciate the tips on clothes, makeup, and other products Smile Overall, from what I've heard and researched on Costa Rica, you can pretty much find all these things in San Jose, which is where I'll be starting out.

Thanks again for being so kind and patient with a newbie!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: what will I need when I get there ? Reply with quote

What you need when you travel away from home depends.
Abroad is a big and diverse place. Paraguay is different from Japan, and Saudi Arabia is different from Finland.

That may seem obvious but you would be surprised how sometimes these questions from newbies sound like "What is it like overseas ?"

Be a bit more specific.
Seth

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
YOur location is Colourado? Don't know such a country. Maybe in Latin America?

Colorado is one of the 50 states that makes up the USA.

My cousin did some time in Nicaragua and he said he should have brought some anti-worm medication (as opposed to pro-worm). It's a tropical locale and there are some nasties out there.

Another thing I like to bring are those foldable laundry bags. They come in handy in a pinch.
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just loving this newbie forum thing. I haven't been flamed once yet, and I've gotten some really good ideas for items I probably would not have thought to bring. A common complaint about newbies seems to be, "We can't help you if we know nothing about you". So, here is some background info, in case anyone has more general wisdom to shower on a novice:
I'm 25, female, have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, will have CELTA cert. in August, been working profesionally for a marketing firm as a copy writer for the 3 years since finishing college, hate the corporate office job thing, like teaching, love traveling, want to learn Spanish, want to experience something different for a while before I'm saddled with husband and kids and other responsibilities someday. Or who knows? I may get sucked in to the TEFL vortex like some of you and do this thing for the long haul. Then I can post cynical, world-weary messages on Dave's forums and give sage advice to newbies. Wink Anyway, I'm just keeping an open mind right now. So that's about it.
Thanks again for the useful info and friendly atmosphere Very Happy
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: You have become legend Reply with quote

Dear M.K.
And someday, when you're old and gray, you can gather the grandkids around and tell them the story of how you were the very first poster in the Newbie Forum on Dave's ESL Cafe. You've attained legendary status, and you've made R, who initiated this forum, breathe a little easier, I'm sure. I suspect he was starting to wonder if anyone would ever use his brainchild. The Swiss Army knife KeNt suggested is excellent - mine has come in handy innumerable times. But don't forget to pack it in your cargo luggage, NOT in your carry-on, these days. Colorado, you say. I've got 4 1/2 acres in Mancos ( pop, 800 or so, about 15 miles east of Cortez, 30 miles west of Durango ). Loveliest spot on earth to me. Mesa Verde and the Rockies fill the horizon. Hope you thoroughly enjoy your adventure and all the best.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: