Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Seoul to Kuwait?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazel 2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: From Seoul to Kuwait? Reply with quote

I have been in Seoul for a few years now but I am thinking of making a move to Kuwait. I am looking for a change and need to save more money.

However, I do have some reservations and I am searching for some info from people who have made the move from Korea to Kuwait.

I have a great life here in Seoul and actively participate in the city's nightlife on the weekends. Most of my friends are in the military and I have become accustomed to socializing with this group since I have been in Seoul. I am also used to being able to go out for lunch or dinner whenever I feel like it, buy almost anything I want and take nice vacations a couple of times a year.

Would it be a massive shock coming from Seoul to Kuwait (besides the obvious Asia VS Middle East life) in terms of social life and recreation? I know that Kuwait is a dry country but what do expats do for fun? Is there anywhere to go to socialize or is it completely void of all interaction?

And I am not asking this question merely to see if I can party in Kuwait. I am carefully trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving to Kuwait and the things that may contribute to culture shock or be completely different from the life I have in Korea. If I were to decide on Kuwait, I want to try and be as prepared as I can and make the right decision.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
souk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to Korea so it is difficult.
Theres the Hash House Harriers, plenty of home brew, rugby (men and women) with away games down the gulf, golf, water sports etc.

Plenty of places to eat but no booze (again)
What sort of job are you looking for?
The climate is against you in the summer months (50 degrees) but at least it is not humid.

It is better if you ask specific questions and you can use this forum to contact me direct.
globalnomad

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no booze .... Home brew I'm confused???
globalnomad

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may I would like to tag on another question here and piggy-back on this thread that is already going....

In S. Korea, private lessons are quite profitable, but it is illegal, if you're hired by a school to teach private lessons in your free time.

Is Kuwait they same?

Is it illegal if hired by a school/company/lang. institute/university?

IF it is Not illegal, is it profitable, what kind of rates?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teaching contracts state that no other employment is allowed. Korea is the only country that I know of who makes private lessons a deportable crime. If your employer chooses to enforce that clause of the contract, he can deport you - but I have never heard of it happening. You couldn't compare the two markets as to private lessons. This is a huge market in Korea. They are not that common in Kuwait, and those that you find will likely be with children. In the time that I was there, I didn't know one teacher who did privates.

As to the booze - home brew question... is that a serious question or do you actually not know the meaning of the term 'home brew?' It is a dry country, but they sell grape juice, sugar, and yeast... use your imagination!! Cool

As to the social life, Kuwait is certainly not the top pick of fun places to live on anyone's list. There is naturally a huge military presence in Kuwait at this time, but they are pretty much restricted to the base which is far from Kuwait City proper. Since the majority of Kuwaitis are not terribly thrilled with their presence, it is kept very low-key. There is not much of a nightlife as you would find in Korea - mostly people socialize with friends at each other's flats. The expat crowd in Kuwait is older... mostly 30-60 and married.

VS
globalnomad

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx veil,

No I imagined right about the No booze HB , but I just assumed that this would be a serious No No, with serious consequences...or that was the impression I got from the Saudi Arabia page...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Saudi is the world capital of home brew. Cool The key is not to get caught trucking it around or caught in public inebriated. If you brew and drink in your home, no problems. (true of both places actually) Drinking and driving can also get you in a lot more trouble anywhere in the Gulf than in other countries...

VS
globalnomad

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veil,

Well thx for the info. I usually HB no matter where I am in world but I thought that in the ME I wouldn't be able to. I'm not one to look for trouble. I would have thought that if someone ratted you out that they could come into your home and bust you. But if common sense, keep it at home, and don't get loud and rowdy (rules I normally follow) are all that's required, the whole ME area just became another 1/2 point more attractive.

thx again
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you specifically thinking of Kuwait? Though I'm one of the minority who actually enjoyed a couple of years there, there are other places in the Gulf - Qatar, UAE, Oman - which are more enjoyable to live in and, on the whole, pay better.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second younggeorge on that one. My last choice in the Gulf would be Saudi, but Kuwait would be second from the bottom of my choices.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: