Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in Minsk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: teaching in Minsk Reply with quote

Hi everybody

Is it a wise decision if I accept a partial payment in roubles? The International House in Minsk offered to pay $100 in US and the rest in roubles, which is equivalent to $350USD.

What's the normal practice there? Partly roubles, partly US? Or all in US?

And how many red days should one expect from a 10-12 mo. contract? (EXCLUDING the statutory holidays)

ruslan
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: a couple salary tips Reply with quote

Hello Ruslan:

I have no experience with business practices in Belarus, but I might be able to give you a few general salary 'pointers' that would apply to any of the former Republics of the USSR, including Russia.

The most important aspect of your salary is NOT whether it's actually paid in rubles or dollars or euros. The important thing is that your base salary is pegged to the official exchange rate of the dollar (or euro).

(At the moment, one US dollar = roughly 31 rubles)

By having your base salary pegged to the dollar, you are basically protecting yourself from inflation. i.e., If inflation goes up, the dollar goes up in tandem ... generally speaking ... and you do not suffer any net loss of buying power.

Sometimes I get paid fully in US dollars; sometimes I get a mix of dollars and rubles. It really doesn't matter, since both currencies are now freely convertible, and the exchange rates are fairly stable.

In plain English, it's not a big deal. Cool

Yours,
keNt

PS: How many holidays you get is generally subject to the whims and policies of individual school managers. I get the national holidays plus 2 weeks paid, but I know other people who get less than that.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: dollars and euros Reply with quote

It might be beter to get your foreign currency in Euros. The dollar has been going down fairly rapidly !
rogan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH Minsk offers a total of $450 a month, saying that it is cheaper than Russia.

I'd negotiate that upwards.
Even in Samara, where life is cheap and wonderfully full of bikinis, $450 is not really good enough.
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: cheers fellows Reply with quote

Hi Rogan

It seems you have already trodden the same path I'm on now. Yes, I thought $450 either in Samara or in Minsk is a bit below the par. And yes, they (=IH) did say the cost of living in Minsk is cheaper than in Russia, which wasn't a particularly smooth persuasion. Any other advices on negotiating the contract? (or with Russians in general Wink )

ruslan

PS: cheers Kent Cool
rogan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying fish

First MINSK is in Belorussia, not Russia, and that's a bas tard of a country where the corruption is 10 times worse.
I know - I've seen both.

I'd take Samara every time, but I know the city. I have friends there and I know the schools and most of the school managers.

IH Minsk will continue to offer their low salaries until people start telling them that it just isn't enough.
IH generally has the ability to raise salaries - certainly they are negotiable at IH in Moscow.

If Minsk won't negotiate, tell them fine and forget it.
There are other places where you can work.
Just keep checking the adverts - and look at other sites, not just this one.
maruss

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Belarus Reply with quote

Unless you know this country,I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TRY AND VISIT IT FIRST BEFORE ACCEPTING A JOB THERE!
Frpm personal experience,it is a repressive and even frightening place-especially if you unwittingly break any regulations.Like everywhere of course,you may meet some very nice people and have a good time,but in Minsk the capital,where prices are generally higher than anywhere else in the country,450 u.s. is not a lot nowadays,even though many local people earn a fraction of that amount!
Why not jump on a train from Moscow if you are already in Russia-there's no border control any more,and go and visit the school and nose aeound a bit-then consider the situation!

Good luck!
M.
rogan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maruss

UK and American citizens do need a visa for Belorussia.
Even if you're on a train crossing the country you need a transit visa.

It was because I didn't have one that I was dragged off the train, had my passport confiscated and was 'arrested' until I paid a $$$ bribe.

But I do agree with you. Avoid this place - it's unhealthy.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Belarus Reply with quote

Sorry for the wrong info about entry visas-because I also have a Cyprus passport which allows visa-free travel to Russia(until next year when we join the E.U.) there is nothing to stop me going to Belarus from Russia as there is no passport control on the train-border controls were abolished quite a few years ago.BUT if you are stopped there by the militia,you will be either fined or probably arrested and deported for being in their tin-pot fascist country illegally!As I found out in 1997 when I tried to transit the place from Poland on the way to Moscow by train,they don't issue visas at the border,even for transits,so I put on a return train and told to get one from their embassy in Warsaw,even though it was a Saturday afternoon and the embassy was closed until Monday morning!My please that my friends wife was waiting in the station in Brest to meet me and could verify that I was really on my way to Moscow etc were of no avail and I was not even allowed to see her,even after I gave them her name etc.
She informed me on the phone whemn I called her later from Warsaw that two militia men took her into their office for questioning and accused her of being a *beep*,despite the fact that her 7 year old son was with her!!
Talking of health,Rogan is dead right-most of Belarus territory was severely contaminated by the Chernobil disaster and food products from there are usually considered unsuitable for human consumption by most internationallly recognised analysts!!All in all,a delightful country to live in !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: