Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CfBT in Oman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
serafina

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: CfBT in Oman Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about CfBT in Oman? What about British Council?
zakiah25

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: reply to Serafina Reply with quote

Generally, both cfbt and the British Council are quite good and well run and have been operating in Oman for some time.
If you're considering those jobs currently being advertised by cfbt (teacher trainers), you should be aware that Ibri, Sur and Ibra are country towns a far distance out of Muscat, the capital - they can be quite isolated if you don't have transport although there is a bus service and taxis to Muscat, but I wouldn't recommend that a woman travel alone on these roads unless she's a very experienced driver in Middle East conditions.Salalah, on the other hand, is the second largest city in Oman and the birthplace of the current Sultan.It is very unusual because it experiences an "hareef" or wet season when the monsoon brings rain to the region.
(it's unusual because Oman is mainly desert and during the Hareef, the countryside turns green). But again, Salalah is quite a distance from Muscat (about 1000 km) although there is a regular plane service (Oman Air), and there is a good highway connecting the 2 cities but it is a long journey and has a history of numerous road accidents.
Muscat is a very interesting city, very spread out with an interesting blend of old and new.
If you do come to Oman, feel free to e-mail me if I can help further.
double agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: cfbt and british council Reply with quote

I like the CFBT. They are a well respected organization, and
they are supportive. GO FOR IT! Very Happy
rickit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: CfBt Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I see the last post here was in 2003? Is there any new information out there on CfBt in Oman? It sounds like a good place to work.

Would love any info if anyone's got it!

Cheers, Very Happy

Rickit
oh_lucky_me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that their Centre Director left in rather a hurry. Unconfirmed, but from a good source.
rickit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Hmmmm... thanks for the message!

That doesn't sound like a good sign... Any reason why s/he would have done that?

Cheers,

R
oh_lucky_me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man! This is just so depressing! Seems like everwhere you go you hear horrible things and I am starting to feel that there are no decent places left. CFBT is supposed to have a good reputation but now I hear that they don't pay their staff when they leave. Not sure if the centre director got paid, but teachers who leave seem to have problems getting money out of them.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people who have had a bad experience tend to post things on the net. People who have had good experiences genarally don't. I am sure there are more good experiences than bad. We just dont read about them.
Signor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're correct then people should look for work in the organisations which don't feature in these forums.

There are a great number of institutes/colleges/universities in Oman that we never hear about (eg British Council, Polyglot). I don't suppose for one minute that they're perfect but but they treat their staff well enough that no-one feels the needs to post.

A lesson for us all......and something organisations that feature on forums should note.
rickit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Hi Signor Reply with quote

Hi Signor,

I've just read that you suggest BC and Polyglot to ok places to work... can you suggest any other names?

Would love to hear them...

Rickit Very Happy
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess size has something to do with it Shocked The bigger the place the more likely there is to be a disgruntled employee.
Signor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't recommending them - just saying that there are never posts about them.

Best way to find out about a place here is to ask current employees and people working in the country. They tend to know the real situation. In any country, there are places that should be avoided and those that provide a supportive environment and often you don't know until you get there.

Maybe we should start a thread with a list of questions to be asked during the recruitment process?
rickit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: So.... Reply with quote

Hi again,

So... maybe we should start a new thread listing all of the places to work in Oman. Then we should find out who works there... then we should make a list if questions to ask? Shocked

Cheers, Very Happy

Rickit
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wasn't recommending them -
my apologies Signor. I wasnt suggesting you were. Just another example of my cr.ap sense of humour. Rolling Eyes
Signor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken - I was protecting myself in case there was a deluge of posts about either....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: