Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planning on teaching elementary or at language schools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Planning on teaching elementary or at language schools? Reply with quote

Some advice:

Be prepared to run around and bleed to death. The whims of your employer come first over your health.

I've been teaching the government system curriculum in Kuwait for almost a year now.. the parents will drive you nuts because they want MORE than it's miserable offering. Little children hate it with a passion. The government officials will swear they know best (but are not native speakers). Some of them will preach their dictionaries and "resources" over your common knowledge for the usage of words and phrases. Their own rules for teaching will change every few months and you'll have to write DETAILED lesson plans daily. Not of your own creation, but using THEIR words.

Language schools (like HumanSoft aka. Direct English) are even worse. I worked there for about 4 months and saw 3 different GMs come and go. Instructors could be given the boot over ridiculous comments by consumers. Yes, consumers. It's a business out to make money, not to teach. Educational material was taken off the internet 5 minutes before a class. You worked day and night, often at the drop of a pin.

The level of disorganization is staggering. The crazy demands are jaw-dropping. You'll find yourself wondering aloud with your equally frustrated colleagues as to the possible level of intelligence of your employer(s). The children, as much as you love them, will drive you bonkers with their crude immitations of the societies stubborn rudeness and boisterously egocentric rants. I had a seven year old stand, leaning against his desk, twisting his hand in a "yeah yeah" fashion, let me know with no uncertain terms that he could complain and get me fired if I forced him to write his ABCs.

It's a challenge. It'll endow you with saintly patience. But it's a damn interesting experience. It's definitely NOT for the faint of heart.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

So, don't beat around the bush... what do you really think? Cool

I haven't seen you around here for awhile. Was your internet provider blocking Dave's?

If you've read my posts, you probably know that I am not the biggest fan of Kuwait. I'm one of those who thinks that the only really good jobs are at university level. Rare does one hear anything good about a language school in the Gulf - actually it might be even less than rare. And the primary and secondary schools are not much better.

So, now I can refer everyone who asks about the topics to this post. Laughing

VS
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Sara,
I haven't seen you around here for awhile. Was your internet provider blocking Dave's?

No, I've just spent a lot of time trying to get settled in this wishy-washy country.

My oldest sister works at the university level. She gets paid less than I do, but she is an ALT afterall. I grate my teeth everytime she complains about supervising 2 whole tests! She thinks sitting, doing nothing and answering the occassional question is bad.. I'd love to see her pull her hair out if she had to supervise 6-8 year olds during a test. Especially if that test came at the end of the day or after recess. Laughing

But I have come to the conclusion that I would like to teach in a university setting. I enjoy working with adults and marking full sentences. But I'll have to go back to school soon then...

By the way.. are you living in kuwait right now? Or when you lived here, did you teach English at the university? Where else have you taught?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

Proctoring/invigilating is pretty dull stuff, and there is a lot more testing at university level. Shocked But, I couldn't imagine trying to corral a room full of kids. There is good reason that my first degree was in secondary education, not primary. Laughing

If you wander about this section of Dave's and peruse my postings, you'd find that I'm retired after spending many years over there. I only spent a year at KU in the 90's and can I ever relate to the horrendous hassle of dealing with the Kuwaiti bureaucracy - absolutely the worst in the Middle East!! I would rather deal with Mogamma in downtown Cairo. Wink

The rest of my time over there was spent between Egypt, Oman, and the Emirates. Definitely get an MA... that would let you into the chance for higher pay, shorter teaching hours, longer holidays, and usually better employers. ...relatively speaking, of course.

VS
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Sara,

Proctoring/invigilating is pretty dull stuff, and there is a lot more testing at university level. Shocked But, I couldn't imagine trying to corral a room full of kids. There is good reason that my first degree was in secondary education, not primary. Laughing

If you wander about this section of Dave's and peruse my postings, you'd find that I'm retired after spending many years over there. I only spent a year at KU in the 90's and can I ever relate to the horrendous hassle of dealing with the Kuwaiti bureaucracy - absolutely the worst in the Middle East!! I would rather deal with Mogamma in downtown Cairo. Wink

The rest of my time over there was spent between Egypt, Oman, and the Emirates. Definitely get an MA... that would let you into the chance for higher pay, shorter teaching hours, longer holidays, and usually better employers. ...relatively speaking, of course.

VS

Thanks for the advice, VS. I certainly will take it. Although, from your experience, was there a more decent area in the middle east that I could find a better job in? I'm very disheartened by Kuwait, but would like to explore other areas in the ME.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara Avalon wrote:

Thanks for the advice, VS. I certainly will take it. Although, from your experience, was there a more decent area in the middle east that I could find a better job in? I'm very disheartened by Kuwait, but would like to explore other areas in the ME.

If you want to make money, the Gulf is the place and other than Kuwait and Saudi, the rest is pretty pleasant. The Emirates are very modern and as rich as Kuwait, so the pay is the highest. Qatar is rather small and thus a bit boring, but pleasant. The best place to live is Oman, and the students are lovely. But, the pay is lower because there is less oil.

If you don't need the big pay check, there is the Levant and North Africa. I particularly like Egypt, Morocco, and Syria. But, get the MA and that will open up many more possibilities for getting into the better jobs.

VS
rbaxter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,
Is there a big difference between Language Schools for Elementary aged students, International Schools and Private Schools ? I will be teaching at a private school for the handicapped . Any insight ?
RB
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbaxter wrote:
Sara,
Is there a big difference between Language Schools for Elementary aged students, International Schools and Private Schools ? I will be teaching at a private school for the handicapped . Any insight ?
RB

Your question is very broad. But yes, there's a huge difference in all the kinds of schools here. Billingual, Private Arabic, Private British, Government, etc... The worst seems to be the schools run by Arabs. Total dictatorship and usually involves tons of family (cousins, nephews, uncles etc..) working together. Always really disorganized and a hassle.

What kind of private school will you be teaching at? Arabic? Foreign?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: