Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to work in Egypt next year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Looking to work in Egypt next year Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been living in the U.S for more than fifteen years now; I am hoping to get my citizenship soon. I was a certified French immersion teacher for more than 10 years, in my last year I taught both French and English curricula. Afterwards, I decided to open my own French daycare which is doing pretty well right now. However, because of my husband situation, (he is Egyptian) we would like to move to Egypt next year. And because I don't have extensive experience in teaching English and also I am not a native, I know I will be limited in my choices. So I decided to pursue a Master�s degree in computer and technology in education instead and I am hoping to graduate in June 2006. As for housing and living we will be all set for that. I looked at some of the American schools online, the jobs and the income seem enticing. Also when I was in Egypt last January I visited American college in Maadi, Cairo, I was very impressed with the facilities and the faculty. Did anybody teach there and would it be difficult to apply for a job? Any ideas on how to apply to American schools or suggestions will be helpful. Thank you. Very Happy

Last edited by SOBELLE on Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sobelle,

I answered your question about CAC on the other thread. Your situation is unusual and I expect that you may have to wait and do your search from there. Unfortunately, since you are married to an Egyptian and living there, you will be local hire. You should get the same pay as other teachers, but probably few benefits.

Your situation is so unique, that I don't really have much in the way of help.

VS
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: working in Egypt Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for your prompt reply. My situation is a little bit unique. My husband has two nationalities. European one and Egyptian one, he will be working in Europe while I will be living in Egypt with my daughter. I am not an Egyptian. Would that help, if I am an american but a non native one? When I apply should I mention anything at all? I am also looking to work as a computer teacher or coordinator. Are they any job prospectives in that area? I was thinking of sending my CV to different schools and see from there. Thanks a lot Very Happy

Last edited by SOBELLE on Mon May 16, 2005 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness, you do ask difficult questions. Laughing I guess you could job search without being completely honest about the fact that you are already living there?? Do you have an address in the US that you could use for your CV? parents or other family?

Definitely send off your CVs and see what happens... apply for language teaching (French or English) and computer courses... leave all and any options open. You would want to hold off until you are almost finished with your MA in computers - most employers will not consider anything unless the degree is in your hands. It is too early to apply for job for 2006 yet.

Good luck

VS
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: working in Egypt Reply with quote

Hi again,

I am sorry I wasn't very clear, I am actually living in the U.S and pusrsuing my Master's degree in one of the universities in Massachusetts!
I was thinking of moving to Egypt in 2006. I hope this will clarify the situation. I appreciate you taking time and answering my never ending questions. Very Happy Thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: