Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in New Zealand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umustgoon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Teaching in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looking for a job in New Zealand, preferrably in Auckland or the South Island. There are several language schools throughout New Zealand, particularly in Auckland. It's a bit overwhelming. I was hoping someone out there has some tips or words of wisdom; specific schools, private/public, vibrant communities to live in. And of course where I might find the best paying job???? BE WELL

All Roads Lead to One----umustgoon
ambernz

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my other posts, but basically you won't get a job as an ESOL teacher here at the moment. It might pick up but we've been saying that for nearly two years now!!!

Sorry for the bad news, but if someone out there has anything more positive to say please do so!
sarahnz

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English in New Zealand for the last two years and found my jobs by going door to door. Even though the industry is not strong at the moment there always seem to be relieving jobs, and some of these lead to �full-time�(as in you get paid for 25 hours of teaching a week) jobs. The reason for all the relieving jobs is high turn over, so beware! And be careful of �contracts�at private schools, they are often really shoddy. Go in with open eyes...

All the places I have worked for have been dodgy, basically the students are there for the visa and not to learn English. I thought working for a New Zealander rather than a Chinese or Korean owner might be better (as in more than three days notice of redundancy) but no! The place I last worked for has campuses in Auckland and Chch, is Kiwi owned and is now being investigated by the NZQA, MoE and the police (for immigration fraud)! Try to work for a university or polytech, virtually all the private schools are visa factories. You could try ACG in Auckland, it�s meant to be a bit more education oriented than some of the others, or Dominion in Auckland and Chch.

Auckland is great, there are lots of schools in the city centre and quite a few in Takapuna. Nice places to live are Grey Lynn/Westmere/Kingsland (I think, anyway). Christchurch is nice too, and accommodation is much cheaper. If you can live near Hagley Park, that�s nice, but try not to get a place too near the river, it tends to be damp.

Give it a try, don�t expect too much and have a back up (there�s always fruit picking, bar work or Japan). Good luck!
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Wellington? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm in the same situation in Wellington right now.

Just turned up and going door to door

where do you work?
any suggestions?

I actually delayed my arrival here as long as visas and tickets would allow in the hope that the market would pick up - the whole point of planning this year here was that NZ is full of foreign students learning English....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: