Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20,000 crowns/month ... is that enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naxiuli

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: 20,000 crowns/month ... is that enough? Reply with quote

I just got a job offer in Pisek paying 20,000 crowns. I have to pay for my own place. Is this a good salary? I'm used to working in Asia where everything's taken care of. Is it possible to teach privately there? Guess I'm a bit nervous teaching outside of Asia.

Thanx
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would make more then the average Czech.

Pisek is a nice town, but they were hit hard by the flooding last August. How much do you have to pay for your housing?

Look at it this way... a loaf of bread costs 20kr and milk costs 12kr (or so)...

I think you would be fine on your salary, but don't expect to save a lot of money.

I don't have any teaching experience in the Czech Republic, but I have spent 8 months in the country over the last two years. How did you find the job in Pisek? I have been looking for teaching jobs in the Czech Republic, but I haven't been able to find that much....

Good luck! Very Happy
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Yes,Sigma is Right Reply with quote

The 20000 crown figure is pretty good for Czech,like Sigma says.It depends of course,on how much you have to pay for your housing.While the salary is pretty good by Czech standards,as she says,do not expect to save much or travel much on it.You can save some and travel some,of course.

I taught in Czech for two years.I made 15000 crowns a month(but with free housing).I had fun...but it was a little frustrating because I knew I was not going to have much savings at the end of my stay there.But it is a tradeoff.Other countries may pay more,but there are disadvantages everywhere,as well as good points.

She is right.Pisek is nice.You should be able to find cheaper housing there than in Prague,definitely.I do not know personally how the floods affected Pisek.I was just leaving Czech for Asia when the floods hit.
Good luck.Have fun. Smile
denise

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making 10,000 per month (plus free housing) in Prague, so 20,000--or even 15,000--sounds great to me! If you end up with even 10,000 per month left over after rent, you should still do quite well.

And yes, you should be able to find private students over there. I never taught privates, but I remember the going rate being something like 300 to 450 crowns per hour.
Cartman

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Kc 20,000 gross or net?If it's gross,it will leave you with about Kc 15,000 after tax.A small furnished flat will cost you anywhere from 5,000 to 7,000,depending on location,quality of furnishings,tower block or house etc.
To reiterate everyone else,you won't save much(if anything)but you will still be able to live a reasonable lifestyle.
By the way,the average wage in the Czech Republic is 15,000 gross.
Naxiuli

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: 20,000 crowns gross. Not net Reply with quote

I found the job in Pisek through this esl cafe. I just found out today that the 20,000 crowns is gross not net. And I have to pay rent on top of that for about 5000 crowns. The guy, Laurence needs other teachers for another city 40km outside of Pisek. Here's his email ( [email protected] )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: