Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NICARAGUA anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmk

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: NICARAGUA anyone? Reply with quote

I am planning on moving to Nicaragua at the end of the summer and am having a hard time getting a job. I'm going to Managua and know of some schools but would like to hear from someone who lives and works there or has lived and worked there. I have over two years of experience, certification and speak Spanish. Any help would be great...thanks!! Laughing
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: nothing there.... Reply with quote

I don't think that Nicaragua will have many TEFL opportunities. You are better off going there to travel and teaching in Costa Rica or Panama if you want to teach in Central America.
cmk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Have you lived there?? Reply with quote

Well; despite the dire prediction I will be there come August no matter what. I'm not moving for adventure or for Spanish, but for my Nicaraguan man. So, Naturegirl, I'd like to know if you actually know there is nothing there from experience or you are just assuming that because it is one of the poorest countries in LA. Or anyone else (please!) give me some help- I'd prefer advice from someone who's lived in the area.

But thanks for the reply! Anything's helpful.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: From what I've heard Reply with quote

I haven't been there to look for jobs. Thought about it, but from what I've read here, it's difficult to find ESL jobs in a developing country. Sure, there are some out there, but the pay is poor and conditions will probably be diffucult. You might try going through a volunteer organisation.

BUT< you said that you are going there because your boyfriend is Nicaraguan. So, I'd say that he has connections, so see if he will use them to help you get a job.

Read the Job Informational Journal here as well. That should help, you can email the people who posted messages there.
subemama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Nicaragua Reply with quote

hi cmk,

yes, i worked in Managua for about 6 months in late 2000. it was a fantastic experience and i loved it immensely. i have traveled throughout all of CA and most of SA, and i Nicaragua is still my favorite place. i even think about going back to work sometimes.

i used to for Oxford Junior College, which is a language institute. i don't know if they are still in existence, but maybe you could do a web search. there is also an American school as well as a German school there where you might find something. i have also noticed on other websites that there are Christian schools that may be looking for teachers, but these are essentially working w/ elementary school students...i don't know if that is what you are looking for.

you may also be able to find some stuff in the local universities, but it is true that the hours are scarce, along w/ the pay.

all in all, i have reason to believe that you would find something. especially if your boyfriend is Nica, he or his family might be able to suggest something for you. and believe me, native English speakers are few down there, so you will be a commodity.

you will not be making loads of money. but you will get by. try the private institutes...they will pay you the most, but you might have to deal w/ a lot of politics and chaos...pero asi es la vida a veces.

you'll see. best of luck to you. i hope you love it as much as i did (do).
Anna R.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: cmk-- did you find work in Nicaragua? Reply with quote

Hi, I might be moving to Nicaragua, I�m currently in Honduras but the school I�m working at is terrible and ʹd like to move on. Someone suggested Nicaragua to me and I read you post. Did you find work? with ease or with difficulty? I think I�d prefer to not be in Managua and I�ve heard good things about Leon and Granada. Do you know anything about these cities and/or language schools in them? Let me know, thanks, Anna.
darius19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anna,
i can't comment on the teaching in those places though i have traveled through all of those cities. nicaragua as a whole is a wonderful place filled with an interesting culture. managua i don't care for too much, too big, too much crime. leon and granada were actually two combating citiies at least for the capital of the country status. eventually the capital was moved to mangua. anyhow, leon grew as a more politically progressive city. granada in contrast was a more politically conservative city, probably, i think, because the wealthy oweners were more likely to live there. from a city stand point, granada is a tpically colonial city, large buildings with open air courtyards in the middle. very nice though, there was a high amount of tourists. leon seems to be a little more run down, though has more of a genuine feel to it. hope that helps.... if you make it to leon, try going to "jala jara," i think that was the name of the resturant, i translated their menu from spanish to english, hope my spanish was up to par.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmk and subemama,.
Did you ever get a job in NIcaragua?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: