Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Argentinians, general impressions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just wanted to make a quick point... (well not so quick)
Most everyones impressions are of portenos (the people in Beunos Aires)and it seems that is where most people want to teach... though Mendoza is mentioned a bit.
I do think most the impressions of Argentines are accurate thus far but I would like to make this note....
As a person who has lived in Argentina but not in Buenos Aires ...I take personal offense to people (read: foreigners) and portenos that seem to believe that the only place of interest in Argentina is Buenos Aires Capital (and Mar del Plata). Yes, a large percentage of the Argentine population does live in BA (i think about a third)... MANY people live in the exterior of the country.
In a recent post 'Veritas_aequitas' wrote that she doesn't know about 'los del campo'... inferring that those who are non'Portenos can be classified as 'LOS DEL CAMPO'And I thought I SHOULD respond to that...
Buenos Aires is not the ONLY thing in Argentina... and it is a very porteno thing to do by calling the rest of the habitants of the country 'los del campo'... I hate to tell you but there are many large and middle sized cities in Argentina... and the people certainly are not from the campo. I have lived in Resistencia and have traveled to many of the provinces capitols and if you think people who live in cities of 250,000 to 600,000 are from the 'campo' you are seriously wrong.
Yes, there are people who live in small villages of say 10,000... most Argentines would take offense if you were to say that. I am sure Marcela (who often post's here) can attest that the people of Santa Fe, Rosario, Cordoba, Tucuman, Resistencia, Corrientes, Mendoza, Salta, etc... do not consider themselves to be 'los del campo'.
So, in conclusion I guess I would note that there are other cities... Yes.. CITIES...besides Buenos Aires in the Republic of Argentina... don't let the Portenos make you believe otherwise... because believe me DON'T! And I personally know that many of these middle sized cities do have a need for English teachers... and those who don't want to follow the band wagon a just stay in BA should consider finding work in another city.... where they experience and live like the other 2/3's of coutries population.

Sorry for the long rant... but it needed to be said. Chau!
carlos-england

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Marcela... thought you needed to see the
derecto... just my misunderstanding... i'll sort
it out the next time I'm there (in August...)
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem that the rest of Argentina welcomes Porte�os like a dose of the plague... personally I've never had a problem with them, but they have mala fama....

Argentina's big... it's worthwhile seeing a bit more of it. (To visit at least, I'm not sure about the work situation)
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! Very Happy
I agree with you, Nomada, I live in Santa Fe, a city which has over 450,000 inhabitants, we are not definetetly "los del campo". The first point to clarify is that saying "los del campo" doesn�t sound good at all, it sounds as if one is referring to ignorant people who never got the chance to go to school. Shocked
As an Argentine, I tell you Buenos Aires is not ALL Argentina, people outside Buenos Aires might be even better than porte�os.
I hope I made my point clear enough. Shocked
Have a good day ! Very Happy
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Carlos! Very Happy
As regards you sending me the website to read that "decreto", there no problem, buddy! Wink If you think I can help you with something just drop me some lines. I am argentine and I live in Argentina, so I don�t need to get any visa to stay in my own country Shocked Laughing
Have a good day, my friend, Carlos!!! Wink by the way...are you now in England??? Very Happy
marg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing: Argentina is NOT Puerto Madero. It's NOT Recoleta. It's NOT Palermo Hollywood. There's so much more to understanding Argentines, and Argentine culture than what we consider the wealthiest and most commercialized part of Capital Federal. I'm from the States and have been here for four years now. I'm lucky enough to be married to an Argentine who has shown me the real deal. I live in a neighborhood that is considered muy DEL BARRIO (a term that isn't well recieved by many porte�os), where the superficial doesn't interfere as much when it comes to understanding what Buenos Aires, and Argentina, are really about. I love this country for what it is - for its indigenous roots - for the glorious mountains of Mendoza... the wild Atlantic characteristic of its coast in early autumn, the lush farmlands of Santa Fe and Cordoba... The only part I have yet to see is Patagonia. I love Argentina as much as my Argentine husband does... but I do find that people get lost in the commercial side of the most popular neighborhoods in Capital Federal and forget that Argentina itself is much, much, more. There's a whole lot more that I can say, but I'll leave it all for another day... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: