Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short-term work abroad, and why teach EFL in the UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Short-term work abroad, and why teach EFL in the UK? Reply with quote

Hello folks, I'm thinking of coming back to the UK for a short spell.

For people teaching EFL or ESL here - what makes you want to do it in the UK? Why not a foreign country? Isn't it really badly paid in the UK? Would you want to/be able to work abroad on a short contract? What about if it wasn't teaching English..?

PM's very welcome... Wink
dyak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i've met a teacher that actually wanted to work in the UK, it's always a stop-gap on the way to something else. I wouldn't recommend going back; as what gets me down the most is the quality of life and having no choice but to work in London - truly the worst place to learn English.
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad There are schools outside London, surely? That's a place I wouldn't go for any money.

There must be good positions in universities teaching new international students?
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyak, how long is a stop gap? a friend of mine said last night that you get more on benefit than teaching English. True?
QatarChic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobs

I would say it depends! I have actually gone back a few times to teach on presessional courses at unis- you do need a DELTA though- although a few unis are flexible and will accept you without one. Pay can be around �30 an hour - for around 18-22 hours teaching per week. In some cases you get subsidised accomodation- usually on campus- I've usually made around �3000 (after tax) for 8-12 week periods. I think its great if you can get it, students are motivated, hardworking, and are postgrad/undergrad overseas students. Most of the teachers I worked with were those who were teaching overseas but were back in the UK for the summer.

Teaching Kids at these summer schools across the UK is a different matter- pay is usually less, but you do other activties- some mates of mine have told me it's like a "cushy baby sitting job"

Good luck! Smile

PS most unis will pay between �25-�33 pounds an hour or weekly ie �530 a week or so
dyak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Dyak, how long is a stop gap? a friend of mine said last night that you get more on benefit than teaching English. True?

Well, i just finished a stop-gap of about 18 months. A fellow teacher used to whinge every day about moving on, she finally did after about 3 years. Most schools have revolving doors though, you can almost see a complete staff change within less than 6 months.

You probably can make more on benefits, especially if your girlfriend is pregnant and whoever you're living with can vouch for your impending homelessness. You'll net about 180+ pounds a week. Find a visa factory and sign on!
Will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bobs,
If you can stick at it, there is always the chance that you will be the one selected out of the myriad applications from others like yourself who are trying to get into the EFL/ESOL market in the UK. Most run out of money just about a week after summer school finishes having spent their hard earned income on keeping up an alcohol habit fuelled somewhere cheaper and then return to whence they came. many stick it out until mid October, when the franchise schools send out their last minute pleas to HO for odd teachers to make up their complement, and missing the cheap beer and attractive opposites take the first Ryan out or catch the bus to a small town in new Europe. There are several schools mentioned here on the UK forum that pay �5/6/7 an hour and give you lotds of hours so it is possible to sacrape by and be exploited but if you are going to be exploited do it in a country you can afford to get pissed in and have a decent meal in a restaurant and a night out for the price of a private lesson, they too are hard to come by here.
Stop-gap jobs there are a-plenty but is that really what you want?
take a look at

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/

for an idea of what is available in the FE sector and apply for a few that start in September then if you are lucky you only have to stop-gap until then. It is no fun stop-gapping without a guaranteed job on the horizon.
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are decent jobs out there if reasonably qualified (which I'm not).
I seem to recall one in the education Guardian this week for Nottingham Uni - MA/Delta etc required - setting up a tie-in with in China and 30-35K GBP.

As Will had pointed out there are some silly offers out there - and even sillier people who accept them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: