Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should this American invest in CELTA-TEFL training?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polihymnia

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Should this American invest in CELTA-TEFL training? Reply with quote

Hi, I am an American female in my late 30s (but with a much younger attitude) and I am a developing musician with professional aspirations. I think I might like to live in Germany, Belgium, or Holland, because of the more progressive attitudes, but also because I have heard that Europe is so welcoming to musicians. I have heard this from several reliable sources and am aware that there are many more music festivals with many more people coming out to see bands there than in North America.

I have never taught anything. I have a four-year university degree in fine arts. My work experience has been a hodge-podge of secretarial work and proofreading and copyediting work. I was, tearfully, copyediting highly technical computer science textbooks until poor economic conditions forced me to go back into secretarial work, so I currently do temp work as a legal word processor (type like a fiend). Working toward getting gigs with one of my music projects, which should come soon.

My travel experience is limited, but I have briefly visited Munich, Wurzberg (and Aub), Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, and Freiburg. (I have also traveled a little in Australia and the UK, but feel more drawn to continental Europe.) I realize that I will need to travel more to decide exactly where I would like to be, but I want to figure out what kind of job I should get while still in the U.S. and what kind of training I should invest in.

My parents or grandparents weren�t directly from Europe, so I can�t get an EU passport that way. I do have a cousin, who, with her husband, has lived and worked in southern Germany for over 30 years. Another cousin has lived and worked for nearly 30 years in Amsterdam.

Languages: I know some basic German and a few words of Dutch and French. Because I seem to have a better aptitude for Germanic languages, I believe I can pick up German or Dutch without too much strife once I establish a clear incentive.

I have read positive and negative posts on this site, so I�m not sure about investing in CELTA-TEFL, as in, would it really pay off? I am also wondering if the copyediting/proofreading and/or secretarial experience might be useful to a European company trying for an American market. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Vielen dank!
rogan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actually 1000s of people over here who type like a fiend and who are also native speakers of German or Dutch.

So I guess the competition for such jobs would be pretty stiff.

Add to that the fact that non EU citizens have great difficulty finding legal employment and your "employability" drops to about zero.

My guess is that your musical aspirations are more important than employment, as such.

Why not come across as a tourist, play the streets, make contacts, pick up a few cafe evenings and get on the concert circuit?
bnix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Listen to Rogan. Reply with quote

She gave you good advice.Too many people see TESOL as some sort of last-gasp,safe haven.It is not really a safe haven at all.Her advice is excellent.Forget about putting money out on one of those certs.There are a few legit programs...but most of those things just exist to make money for their shyster owners.Listen to Rogan.Good luck : Smile
polihymnia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, guys!
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you've had good advice; and whilst you're over here don't forget to listen to the different musics such as the Meditteranean sounds of Genoese Trallalero and Sardinian polyphony, Norwegian Hardanger fiddle and Swedish fiddle music, Bulgarian open throated singing, Alpine choral singing and all the other wonderfully obscure stuff. Even if it's not your cup of tea (what is your main area btw?) I've never known an intelligent musician not be interested in other peoples' musics.

Personally I play the tin whistle and bones - I just hope your instruments are as portable Smile

Sue
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Go for it Reply with quote

Personally, I'd say that doing the Celta is still worthwhile. It doesn't cost a huge amount of money and only takes a month and yet you become a professionally qualified TESOL teacher. It's another string to your bow and YES there are some Americans who do manage to find regular teaching jobs in Europe, despite the visa difficulties (look elsewhere in this forum for information and debate on that topic). You would have a much better chance of finding a release for your musical abilities if you had a day job to keep you off the streets. With the Tesol qualification your trip to Europe might last a few years, without it you'll probably have a good holiday but be back in the US sooner than you'd hoped. My advice...do the course somewhere in Europe...that way you will meet other Americans in the know plus get help from the school. Go for it.
polihymnia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: TEFL and music Reply with quote

Marc, thanks for the encouragement. The thought had occurred to me that it might be better to get certified from a European school. I will begin the research for a reputable school. Yes, I seem to make more progress with music when I can feel fairly secure that I can pay the rent.

Sue, I am not familiar with all the music you mention, though I have heard recordings of Bulgarian singing. In fact, a local group I've seen, Kitka, have studied with The Bulgarian Women's Folk Chorus (is that the correct name?). I will look up the other music you mention.

Another favorite of mine is Czech avant-garde singer/violinist Iva Bittova, whom a friend of mine recently met while he was on tour as set designer for local group Rosin Coven (they call themselves a pagan lounge act and use stand-up bass, violin, bazouki, singers--they have 9 players). I also love Natcha Atlas, the Belgian singer who sings in French and Arabic.

Well, my instrument is voice, so, yeah, it's fairly portable. Right now, I am working on medieval and renaissance material with a couple of multi-instrumentalists who use classical guitar, bazouki, and hammered dulcimer. Also working on an original songwriting project with a guitarist on material that is in the neoclassical/world fusion/darkwave vein (similar to Dead Can Dance, Love Is Colder than Death, Faith and the Muse, and Unto Ashes). I understand there are several darkwave and neoclassical festivals annually in Europe, whereas there are very few in the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: