Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don McChesney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Z visa and work in HENAN Reply with quote

I returned from Australia 4 weeks ago, after a break, the system IS easier!!
I got a 30 day single entry Z visa from Canberra, before booking my air ticket. This involved sending them 3 forms the school sent me, by fax, and my passport and some cash.
On arrival here, I had a full medical in the 'Quarantine Hospital', cost 230 RMB, then off to get my residency permit, which is stamped into my passport. Next step was a work permit (Red book) which took 2 weeks and cost 400RMB. Bring a whole bunch of photos, passport size, you'll need every one.
I am pleased about the information that the residency visa lets you go in and out of the country, I must test that soon, as I want to go to Hong Kong.
Be aware that Henan may be different from other provinces.
Chris_Crossley

Location: Still in the centre of Furnace City, PRC, after eight years!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Medical exam in Hubei province Reply with quote

Don McChesney wrote:
On arrival here, I had a full medical in the 'Quarantine Hospital', cost 230 RMB, then off to get my residency permit, which is stamped into my passport. [...] Be aware that Henan may be different from other provinces.

In that respect, Hubei province is different - the greedy hospital in Wuhan, where foreigners must have their medicals, charges over 500 RMB for the medical examination! Shocked Surprised
Volodiya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Don. Glad to hear of your successes, and thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

For the sake of those who follow these developments, and for additional clarity for readers who are not so familiar with these documents, will you please have a look at your documents and see if what you got matches the following:
Quote:

I got a 30 day single entry Z visa from Canberra, before booking my air ticket. This involved sending them 3 forms the school sent me, by fax, and my passport and some cash.
On arrival here, I had a full medical in the 'Quarantine Hospital', cost 230 RMB, then off to get my residency permit, which is stamped into my passport ["Residency Permit for Foreigners", a sticker placed in your passport]. Next step was a work permit (Red book) ["Foreign Expert Certificate"] which took 2 weeks and cost 400RMB. Bring a whole bunch of photos, passport size, you'll need every one.
I am pleased about the information that the residency visa ["Residency Permit for Foreigners"] lets you go in and out of the country, I must test that soon, as I want to go to Hong Kong.
Be aware that Henan may be different from other provinces.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this for us.

If Don has got a Residency Permit for Foreigners (RPF) [he may have referred to it as a "residency visa", at one point], he's not mistaken to believe that this will allow him to exit and re-enter China. While the RFP is not a visa it confers a "basket" of rights and privileges on its holder; among these is the right to exit and re-enter China freely, within its period of validity, without a visa of any kind.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I wonder if you could help us out here. [I PM'd you, but you haven't picked up, yet].

What city are you going to be working in, in Henan?

Was any kind of med exam required of you, with the results sent to Henan, prior to your receiving, from Henan, the three documents you spoke of?

Apart from that, was any kind of med exam required of you at all, as part of the Z visa application process in Canberra?
handelme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: new work visa? Reply with quote

I'm coming to work in china for the first time, In Nanning. I am coming on a L visa, and from previous FT's I know the school is one that could convert it to a Z visa, at least in the past.

Now the school is telling me there is a "new policy" to no longer deal with Z visa's ..to quote
my question :"Just to confirm (important) - the visa is the Z visa with the resident permit? I get to keep them?
----according to our new policy,there will be no Z visa any more. We will get a working visa for you.
----Well, as for the "Z" visa,I meant i can get you a working visa,but not "Z" visa ,there will be no"Z" visa any more,acutally , it's similar to.
-----We will get working visa(multi entrance)

My questions about residence permit and foreign experts cert being overlooked.

Does anyone know the situation in Nanning...should I go to this school in light of this?

thanks
Don McChesney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Permits etc Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.
(1) In my passport is stuck (like the Z visa), a "Residence Permit for Foreigners in the PRC", for the duration of my contract.
(2) My 400Y "Foreign Experts Certificate" is the red book like they used to issue
(3) I did not have a medical in Australia before applying for my Z visa, nor was one asked for by Canberra. The school arranged it in the Quarantine hospital. Bloods for AIDS, Hep etc, Chest X ray, ECG, and echo sound of abdomen. (? why?)
(4) I did not mention it, but my Z visa was for 30 days only, no multiple entries. This means I had to have a 'plane ticket showing I was returning to Australia within 30 days of getting to China. As soon as I got my Residence Permit, which extends the Z visa, I emailed the travel company and got them to change my 12 month air ticket to my leaving date. They said this is the easy way out of problems, and were expecting the email anyway.
Hope this helps someone. I am in Zhengzhou, the PSB lady is a real grin, she is learning English, and has a great sense of humour.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don, for the detailed reply to my questions. I'm glad things have worked out so well for you.

Regarding your comments on the air ticket, a return ticket with a one year validity gives the FT the maximum flexibility on when to return home during that year. Sounds like that's what you had and I'd recommend it for anyone coming to China to work, for the first time.

Handelme, you can gather all the information possible from these forums and in the end, the decision is still yours about whether to take a given job offer.

If I give the most optimistic, positive interpretation to the reply you received from the school, taking into account that the English may be poor and the statement a little imprecise, I could understand it to mean the following:
Quote:
"You will not need to enter China on a Z visa. We will get you a "Residence Permit for Foreigners" (RPF), and a "Foreign Expert Certificate" (FEC), after you arrive at your post to work, and after you've had the physical required for the FEC."

[The RPF and the FEC are the minimum documentation you need to work, long-term, as a foreign teacher, in China.] If that is the meaning they were trying to convey, it would be some good news for you, but not the best possible.

Even better news would be they were sending you the documents necessary for you to apply for a Z visa, abroad. These are the "Official Invitation Notice for Chinese Visa Application"; and, a "Foreign Experts Affairs Invitation Confirmation". Receiving these from a prospective employer is your assurance that they are licensed to employ foreign teachers and that your qualifications are satisfactory, as well.

(Regarding qualifications, a university degree is usually sufficient. If you do not have a university degree, your risk in going to China without a Z visa in hand are greatly increased. You may find that your employer is simply unable to get you approved through the State Foreign Expert Affairs Bueau.)

Do a search for your prospective employer on this forum and others, to get an idea of their reputation. Based on their reply, I don't see any reason to get unduly alarmed at this stage, but it is disappointing they are unwilling to go through the steps necessary to get the approvals needed to employ you, prior to your travelling to China.

Last edited by Volodiya on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Permits etc Reply with quote

Don McChesney wrote:
(4) I did not mention it, but my Z visa was for 30 days only, no multiple entries.

All Z visas are for 30 days only. The 30 days is to give foreigners enough time to get their residence permit which you must have after being in China for 30 days.
tw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: new work visa? Reply with quote

handelme your school seems to be quite confused with terminologies.

The residence permit allows you to live in China legally after 30 days. It is issued after you arrive in China.

The Z visa allows you to work in China legally. Some people call it the work visa. But I think your employer was referring to the residence permit when they talked about the "new" Z visa.
Voldermort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to further confirm that in Sichuan province it is not neccasary to leave the country.

I have recently had a 6 month business visa converted into a residence permit. I must point out, as these threads are a little confusing to people new to the system, A residence permit is NOT a Z visa.

It is not required for you to possess a Z visa in order for you to work in China, the Z visa is simply a permit to ENTER China and commence pre arranged work. In order to stay in China you must have a residence permit (now a sticker inside your passport).

To obtain a residence permit and change or extend your visa you must first obtain a Foreign Experts certificate from your school. This, along with your contract and medical certificate, is all that is required to apply for a residence permit.

Just a note of advice, make sure you are registered with your local PSB.
profM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my 6-mos. contract at a university in Changsha and got a job at another U in Beijing.

I sent my FAO my passport, residency permit and FEC. He got me an FEC extension, but now informs me that I am supposed to appear at the Public Security office in Beijing for a "first time" residency.

Have you heard of having to appear to receive residency in Beijing, and can I travel from Changsha to Beijing without my passport or must I get it returned to me first?

No need to comment about having given up my passport in the first place. I did that when I first came to Changsha too, in order to get original residency permit. True, I was in the same city as my passport, but I still didn't have it for a week. The only difference now has been China Express Post instead of my FAO airhead assistants. At least my passport was insured for $300 in the transfer process this time. Last time, if it had been lost I would have had to get it replaced with my own money. Right now, I am not concerned about China Express Post. That is not the question for today.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in this sounds too surprising or concerning to me. I don't think they're going to issue the RPF until you're physically present in Beijing. To travel, you will, in almost all cases, need your passport. Might as well get started asking them to return it to you. Good luck.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who mails his or her passport to someone else must take appropriate measures to ensure he has documentary proof of his identity. It is necessary to make PHOTOCOPIES of one's passport before releasing it into the hands of someone else.

Besides photocopies, you could perhaps use your old resident's permit (supposing you have so far been staying in China on a regular work visa that came with a green resident's permit).

That will normally take care of the formalities at hotels though you can on occasion run into difficulties.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will shed any light on the subject or further muddy the waters but here is what happened to me and my wife.

We arrived in China from Canada and began working on 90 day 'L' visas, which were renewed for us by our employer. I knew this was an illegal working condition and I had already made a stink about it...but that's a different story. Take these facts for what they are, not whether they should or shouldn't have occurred.
At some point (around March or early April I think) we were issued with our Foreign Expert Certificates but our employer kept them. The second 'L' visa was valid until April 20 2005 and about two weeks prior to it's expiration we went and had a medical exam so that we could be issued with our 'Residence Permit for Foreigners'. These became valid and were issued to us (as a stamped page in our passports) on April 21st 2005.
The RPF is valid until March 2006.

Those are the facts in our particular situation; now to the question.
We are leaving for Canada in just over a week and returning to China at the end of August. Do we need any other documentation besides the RPF to gain re-entry into China? Would it be worthwhile to get a letter from our school to accompany the RPF stating that we are legally employed?
Do we need to take our Foreign Expert Certificate with us??

Thanks everyone, great sticky.

Very Happy
tw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
The RPF is valid until March 2006.

We are leaving for Canada in just over a week and returning to China at the end of August. Do we need any other documentation besides the RPF to gain re-entry into China?

No. From what many posters have pointed out in other threads, the RPF is good for multiple exits and re-entries. As long as you re-enter China before March 20, 2006, there will not be any problems. That's its main advantage over the former Foreign Resident Permit green booklet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 2 of 29

Jump to: