Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Opinion about ELT in Bangkok Language Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter McAlpine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: An Opinion about ELT in Bangkok Language Schools Reply with quote

Here is the opinion about ELT schools in Bangkok of someone who has been in Thailand teaching English for quite a few years already.

"Unfortunately I wouldn't recomend working in a language school as the salary is poor and the hours expected to work are very high! I actually said to a friend of mine last week I'd never go back to working in a language school and should the situation arise I'd rather return to the U.K. For example, Berlitz school pays a starting salary of 170 baht per lesson!

The only school that has come to mind is Ilingua and I do know of someone working there. The salary is higher and lessons are conducted similar to Berlitz.

I would not recomend any of the schools I have worked at!"

More money can be made in ELT in companies and with private students, I think.
gecko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this does seem to be the case in Thailand altough there are some good schools out there. It comes down to the fact that school owners see the schools as being cash cows, they are just getting as much money as they can and they generally don't care about the standard of education. It is funnt to think that in Korea, student fees in language institutes are simmilar to those in Bankok and sometimes less, yet the schools pay lower wages. But as is the case with Thailand, there are too many foreigners there that are willing to take the low paying jobs so the same thing goes on and on. Rolling Eyes
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: teaching at a uni is better Reply with quote

In my opinion, if you want to teach English in Thailand, then you should teach at a university that will pay you a basic monthly salary for 12 - 15 hours per week of teaching. This leaves you free in the evenings and weekends to do outside work and private classes. Also, the university itself will often provide opportunities to make extra cash. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: