Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL to Adults in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harold Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: EFL to Adults in Cairo Reply with quote

Can anyone please direct me to potential employers in Cairo? I'm a bit long in the tooth at 52 but do have over twenty years full time teaching experience in UK state schools plus an M Ed (Psycho-linguistics). I taught for six months at the MLI in Abu Dahbi but resigned as that particular institution just wasn't for me.

Up until July of 2004 I taught TESOL to muslim asylum seekers in the UK but really want to return to the Middle East. I had a paper accepted at the TESOL Arabia conference in Dubai 2003 and attended an interview with HCT at the job fair for which I was successful only to be dropped by them subsequently. I think the reason related to my leaving MLI voluntarily after only six months: I may have upset one of the Amideast managers?

I have been offered,(conditionally,) employment in Saudi Arabia but no-one is bothering to answer my emails so I need to look elsewhere as a backup at least.

Shukran Jazilan
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt is only a choice if making money is not a necessity. Places like British Council or AMIDEAST offer part time stuff that will barely support you living on the local economy. There is also the adult ed section of AUC, but it pays extremely low.

If you are looking for benefits and the ability to save, the Gulf is your only real choice.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with VS about pay - it is very uncommon to get much more than �200 (stirling) per month for a teaching job in this country! That's not to say it's not possible, but you can't save much on any wage you get here!

Unless you are set on teaching adults, I think that kids might be the best idea - some of the private international schools pay pretty well. Alternatively, Amideast or British council are the way forward. However, as VS says, the pay is far from great.

Egypt is a wonderful place to live, but I think it's probably better for people just wanting to spend a couple of years here, getting experience, before moving on to other areas of the Gulf, or for people who are determined to stay for the rest of their lives. You already have the experience, so why not look into more "profitable" areas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: