Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please if you can help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
george31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Please if you can help? Reply with quote

Hey

i am quite confussed. I will complete a TESOL course in late february next year, and after that undergoe 20-30 hours of monitored teaching.

I am Greek/Egyptian - born in Australia, i am trying my hardest to find documents to obtain dual nationalism (greek passport/euro passport).

What are the realistic chance of me being accepted for a job in Greece?

I would like to teach in Crete, or Thelesoniki (as i hear they are good places to work) but i dont know much about teaching in Greece - i have looked through this forum but am getting quite confussed, i also understand not many ppl reply in the Greek forum (:p how very greek:P[its ok i can say it-i'm greek]) so i know it will be a miricle alone to get a reply Wink

So if anyone can help me i would be so greatful!

ande gia
george
VICKIMAZIS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: TEACHING IN GREECE - MY EXPERIENCE Reply with quote

Hi there, since noone has responded i will... There are heaps of private english schools in greece, but then again there are heaps of english language teachers, many of them native, who are preferred. you need to have a teachers license to teach in greece, which requires doing a oral and written exam in greek - but you can find work in a school as a 'foreigner' but that limits your chances of finding a good job. If you don't have a teachers license you can be open to exploitation, especially if you desperately want to work in Greece. I was exploited by the frontistirio i was working at, was not given holiday pay, was basically paid crap and didn't have enough money to live on - and the excuse they gave me was that i didn't have a teachers license and should be grateful they gave me a job!!
Greece is now expensive - and living off 600-700 euros is tough. I wasn't even living off that - much less - so if I didn't have money in my savings...god knows what I would have done. And it's hard to find private tutoring - especially if you're knew because you need to get contacts - you need to understand the levels and what they teach etc. so if you're going to work in greece make sure you have lots of money in your savings - at least for the first year.
i love greece and know that if i had found a good job i would be still living there but it's hard to accept the fact that as an educated teacher i had to live in poverty!!

Vicki
gate7olympiakos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also to add to the above, if you dont have greek citizenship and are eligible for it. it makes things much easier for you and the school if you had it.

where one of your parents born in greece? or a grandparent?

Last edited by gate7olympiakos on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
VICKIMAZIS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...greek citizenship makes things much easier...it would be impossible otherwise i think...both my parents were born in greece - i'm first generation australian - so lucky me i got greek citizenship...generally you can find a job without a teachers license but it's so much better to have one but make sure your greek is good!! mine's average and i don't think i would have had the courage to give an exam in the greek language...!! but if i was willing to give greece another chance i would work towards getting my teachers license!!!
the question is - do i want to give greece another chance!!??
gate7olympiakos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends how much you love Greece and are willing to do it.
to me Greece is #1[/quote]

Last edited by gate7olympiakos on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
VICKIMAZIS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a love hate relationship with greece - i love greece - the country - its history - its mythology - but i don't love the people - although i did meet some good people i sensed that people looked down on me - and this from my own relatives...i wouldn't say greece is the best - it's great in summer - especially when you've got lots of money - but being poor in winter - horrible!! workers don't have the same rights as they do in my country Australia and i'm just not used to that!! i was under paid, exploited, treated poorly!! But i met my husband in Greece so that's a good thing!!
gate7olympiakos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well australia is the second home of Greeks anyways!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: