Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian Doctoral Qualifications Recognised in UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Australian Doctoral Qualifications Recognised in UK? Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm a Brit who has been teaching abroad for nearly 12 years and am currently working in the UAE. I am in the process of applying to several doctoral programmes at the moment; a couple of part-time PhD's in the UK, which I could complete mostly by distance learning, and a Doctor of Applied Linguistics from Macquarie in Australia.

I know that UK universities will recognise professional doctorates, such as the EdD, as being suitable qualifications for teaching and lecturing at university level. However, I'm not sure about the standing of an Australian qualification, even one from such a respected insitution as Macquarie. The Macquarie programme looks great, but the title "D App Ling" would be unfamiliar to many, and certainly doesn't look as familiar as "PhD", even though Macquarie insists that the standard is the same.

Does anyone here know how the qualification would be viewed by universities in the UK if I were to apply for a position as a lecturer on, for example, a Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics programme? As I say, I like the look of the programme, which involves coursework, research training and an 80,000 word thesis, but I'd like to know how recognised it'd be in the UK. I wouldn't want 6 years' work and 20,000 pounds to be in vain.

Thanks for any help you can offer
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Help Please Reply with quote

Hi

I'm about to make a decision between a UK PhD and the Macquarie Doctorate in Applied linguistics.

Does anyone know how respected Macquarie is, and whether their Doctorate would help me get a UK university job?

Thanks

Sifu
eltbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifu_sensei,

The Linguistics Department at Macquarie is certainly one of the strongest of its kind in Australia and is well-respected within the field of Linguistics. However,the D. App. Ling. is an online doctorate programme and its recognition could be at issue. I can't imagine how it'll be difficult for you to obtain a faculty appointment though, if by the time you graduate, you have developed a decent publication track record. You'll hear that people have difficulty getting a junior lecturing position even with say a PhD from UCL or Oxford if their publication record isn't impressive and are unable to demonstrate that they've made any significant contribution to the field.
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply eltbert. Are you writing from within the UK?

I'm hoping the fact that the DAppLing is online won't be a problem as my Masters from the UK was also online, and most countries will accept online degrees now.

Thanks for your advice regarding publications as a few other people have told me that a publication record is more important than the title of your degree. As you say, Macquarie is a respected university so I'm hoping that a doctorate from there will stand me in good stead for a university career.

Cheers

Sifu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: