Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ministry of Higher Education

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Ministry of Higher Education Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone had a look at yesterday's job posting on Dave's. They are looking for 70 instructors and salaries range from 1000-1450 OR (including benefits).
How does this compare to say SQU?

Anyone ever work for the Ministry of Higher Ed?

Thanks in advance.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ministry of Higher Education Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
I am wondering if anyone had a look at yesterday's job posting on Dave's. They are looking for 70 instructors and salaries range from 1000-1450 OR (including benefits).
How does this compare to say SQU?

The top end beats SQU.

But SQU has excellent management. That's a benefit that's hard to match.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BD on this one. I think the Ministry positions depend very much on where you are assigned. I saw a couple of differences in relation to the package described. SQU provides a furnished flat - nothing to repay. SQU pays for the full summer ticket, not 75%. The biggest advantage to SQU is that you are close to Muscat, and you can always visit all those other places if you are interested. I wouldn't really want to live in most of them personally (especially true if you are married with children - limited education available in the hinterlands for expat kids....)

VS
StephenM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: "top end"? What's the story on these places/employ Reply with quote

I replied to this job ad' as soon as it went up. First time I went after a job in the middle east (although been in the game a few years now and currently in Japan). Reason is, my wife is a native Arabic-speaker and refuses to come to Japan - says if I get a job in the ME she'll consider going there with me though. I imagine going as a couple would be MUCH better than living as a single guy in a town with NO nightlife if you know what I mean.

"top end" I have only heard in relation to Australia's Northern Territory. If this is referring to the area around the capital city, I'm not sure the places mentioned in the ad' are near there at all - can anyone tell me?

The guy replied right away and we've been trying to catch each other by phone this weekend. I notice he uses CEO as job title which seems unusual for a "Ministry of Education"? Are these legit' gov't positions or am I dealing with some kind of contractor? Would love to hear (either directly or via this board) from anyone and everyone who has an informed opinion on this opportunity before I commit myself. Regards StephenM

PS if you chat on this site, see my page of chatters' pictures at http://felix.ausanime.com/EslCafe/
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "top end"? What's the story on these places/em Reply with quote

StephenM wrote:
"top end" I have only heard in relation to Australia's Northern Territory. If this is referring to the area around the capital city, I'm not sure the places mentioned in the ad' are near there at all - can anyone tell me?

'top end' of the salary... ie 1450 OR... no geography reference here.

As to whether it is direct hire or an agent/contractor, ask him. Always be careful of the agency situations. They almost uniformly end up being very bad decisions - with the exception of a few places in KSA.

My advice would be to only take a job if you are an employee of the Ministry directly... no agent skimming off part of your salary, putting you in a dump, and providing no management assistance.

VS
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they give a smaller furniture loan to their 'instructors' than their 'associate professors'. Is that 'cos they give them a smaller place to live or do they just assume the less qualified teacher simply needs less furniture?
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishBrian wrote:
I see they give a smaller furniture loan to their 'instructors' than their 'associate professors'. Is that 'cos they give them a smaller place to live or do they just assume the less qualified teacher simply needs less furniture?

Well the ad said:

"salary ranging from 1000 to 1220 Omani Riyal inclusive of housing, utilities (Electricity & water), and transport."

So they won't be giving anybody a place to live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: