Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me out please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadwrestlers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Help me out please! Reply with quote

Could anyone who knows anything about my following questions (mainly logistical) please respond?...

1. I am American and I love greece and want to teach there and live there: how realistic is it for me to search for an esl job among all the EU Brits?

2. If you think it's worth pursuing, what are the steps I need to take before leaving the states? For instance, the Greek consolate here said I should get a copy of my degree (in English Lit.) signed and sealed by them before I leave to later present to the ministry of Education in Greece?... When do I do that, before or after I find a school.

3. Does anyone know anything about the Via Lingua courses offered in greece and how helpful they are in procuring a job upon completion? They give TEFL certificates I think, though I've heard the CELTA or TESOL are more well regarded... If you taught in Greece, which if any of these certifications did the Greek employers like?

4. Visa/Work permit stuff: Do I have to contact a school before leaving to set the permit process in action, does the cert course provider help, is it inadvisable to work in Greece "ilegally?"

5. Are the Frontisteria my only option, other than private lessons? If so, does anyone have any legit ones to recommend so I won't get screwed like everyone else on this board?

6. I am not especially worried about getting on with the people or about making much money, or about pursuing a long career in esl teaching. My reason for going would be to live in another culture and experiece everything that comes along with that. I plan to have some money in my bank account before leaving so crap wages aren't the end of the world for me. However, I don't want to land in a situation where I have to work unreasonable hours for nothing with no time for leisure... Any suggestions for avoiding this situation?

7. I'm thinking about Crete as a destination. Any recs on crete or anywhere else, or cautionary tales? Any and all info would be helpful.

Please feel free to answer any question(s) and I appreciate the help.
VICKIMAZIS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there..since noone else has answered i will answer from my experience of living and working in greece....it sounds like you've travelled to greece and based on that wonderful experience you want to live there.
but as i learnt from my experience, living and travelling in greece are two different experiences but anyway...i have eu citizenship (a greek passport) and i found it hard to find work because i don't have a teachers license. so withouth eu citizenship and a teachers license...sorry but good luck...you will be taken advantage of pretty badly i am sorry to say, especially if you're desperate (as i was and taken advantage of). don't forget that not only are there brits looking for teaching work - but so many greeks with english degrees are looking for work in schools - it's hard to get a job in greece so competititon is tough - especially for english teachers...i will say your chances of getting a job will be hard and slim and if you did...i fear you may be exploited. it's hard to find a good frontistirio and many don't want to know you if you don't have a teachers license..let along not have eu citizenship!! giving private lessons is not as easy as it sounds...competitition is fierce and it's always good to start off at a frontisteria to understand how the system works before you find work in private tutoring...if you really want to live and work in greece why not a touristy kind of job?? Just a suggestion...
From my experience, i had a pretty negative experience teaching in greece and i'm greek australian with greek citizenship!!

i hope this helps and sorry to sound so negative!!

Vicki
gate7olympiakos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldnt agree more with vickimazis' response

basicaly, if you dont have a EU passport and a university degree which you brought to the gov't and applied for a english teacher licence in greece, well.........your out of luck. its not so easy to teach in greece.

sorry to say
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: