Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this a good offer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: is this a good offer? Reply with quote

so, i've got a job offer from a school in hradec kralove, which i've pretty much accepted, though i haven't actually signed a contract or anything. it's 13,000 crowns a month gross, with deductions made for health and social insurance. a flat is provided, shared with a czech teacher - it's mostly paid for by the school, though i would have to pay about 1500 crowns a month for utilities and such. so, what do you guys think? is this a good offer for a first time teaching job? as i said, i've pretty much accepted the position; just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions or advice about this offer.
thanks much Cool ,
andrea
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Congratulations on the New Job ,Andrea Reply with quote

Have fun! Smile The salary you mention,13000 crowns per month is not wonderful,but well,it is not bad.Probably about average...maybe a little bit below average.Well,people should not go to Czech for the money,anyway.

Hradec is a nice enough city.Personally,I do not like sharing a flat...but maybe you have different opinions on that one.You do not tell us the name of the school,so we cannot comment on that.We also do not know if you are from an EU country.Czech is going EU.
Well,anyway,you will probably have a great time.Enjoy yourself. Smile
denise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your salary is fine--easy to live off of (provided you don't want to travel throughout Europe or go on shopping sprees, but I think you mentioned in a previous post that you weren't a big spender anyway). Enjoy!
andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guys, for the input. the school's name is Jana Private School of Languages- they also teach german, french, spanish, italian, russian, and czech for foreigners.
as denise said, i'm not really a big spender...i don't like acquiring things that i have to lug around with me, and i'm vegan, so won't be eating out in restaurants much...so the salary should be alright from what you've said.
as far as sharing a flat...i was a little aprehensive when i heard that, but after thinking about it, it will probably be a good thing for me - probably help me meet more czech people, learn the language better and get some insight into the czech culture.
yep. i'm getting excited Very Happy
andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and one more thing, in case you care...
i'm not eu - i'm a us of american - and i know that czech is going eu...though none of the new eu countries will be official until may '04. the fact that they're going eu is actually one of the main reasons i'm going there now...would have liked to have gone somewhere in japan maybe to earn a little money before hand...but decided i needed to go to eastern europe before they went eu.
yep. that's my story Razz
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrea wrote:
thanks,
as denise said, i'm not really a big spender...i don't like acquiring things that i have to lug around with me, and i'm vegan, so won't be eating out in restaurants much...so the salary should be alright from what you've said.

I don't think you would have a lot of vegan options in restaurants even if you wanted to go to them. The Czech Republic is not the easiest place in the world to be a vegetarian or vegan. However, you will have no problem finding the appropriate foods in grocery stores and markets.

Good luck.
andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you would have a lot of vegan options in restaurants even if you wanted to go to them. The Czech Republic is not the easiest place in the world to be a vegetarian or vegan. However, you will have no problem finding the appropriate foods in grocery stores and markets.

i know...that's why i said "i'm vegan, so won't be eating out in restaurants much" Razz
denise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I survived for two years there as a vegan, so it is possible. Granted, I was in Prague, with more options... You will still be able to eat out, although there may only be one thing on the menu for you! Smile (makes deciding what to order very easy...) And even eating out regularly will be possible on your salary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: