Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Izmir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eleven

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Izmir Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone have any info' on schools in Izmir, rates, accommodation ones to avoid etc. I lived there a couple of years ago and am looking to return. Any info' would be appreciated
Thanks

eleven
El Gordo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I answered an advertisement from �zel T�rk Koleji and received a reply from a lady with an English name. She led me to believe that the job was mine if I wanted it, and asked me to send her copies of my certificates, which I did. I heard nothing more from her and subsequent e-mails went unanswered.

A few weeks later, the position was advertised again, and again I applied. I received another e-mail, this time from a gentleman with an English name (and a different e-mail address from the lady) who said more or less the same as the lady. I sent copies of my certificates again - pointing out ever so politely that they should already have had these - and guess what... again I heard nothing more and subsequent e-mails went unanswered.

I was rather peeved by this, to say the least, and needless to say I shall not be applying there again.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had ths happen to me a few times as well. i apply, they email me basically saying the job is mine. i email some follow up questions. they disappear. it wasn't the above mentioned school though.
El Gordo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the same thing happened last year with my application to �zel Yamanlar Lisesi, Izmir.
eleven

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Gordo, thanks for the reply much appreciated. I now at least know of one to avoid. Any other info' out there regards Izmir? Come on I'm sure someone knows something.
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Izmir the good the bad and the ones to work for Reply with quote

Hi Howard and others
As a long standing resident of this fine city I am in a well placed position to let you know about the schools, language schools, and universities in the area of Izmir . Firstly can I say that the lack of response you got from Ena and GUY was basically because they didn't know how to do their jobs properly, that is, at the time, to recruit . At one time that wasd
my job at that place and well I didn't seem to have any problem getting the people to the school,now sadly the system is changed and well basically chaos reigns ,thats not to say the schoolis no good quite the reverse they are the largest employers of foreign teachers in Westen Turkey and if you can work there for at least 3 years and keep sane you will survive any where I did .for about 7 years and now I can work any where there is nowhere I will not venture Afganistan,Iraq, Vietnam, even korea (oopps!) all a walk in the park after this place .I think they offer the best package in the city with foreign currency and a rent free roof over your head plus school meals and a flight ticket not bad try for it and you never know ,only don't mention my name .There are at least 5 or 6 more but I have got sore fingers from insulting people all day catch you later or send me a private message if you want the real stuff .
elena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Izmir, English Academy Reply with quote

Hello,
Anyone have any info re: The English Academy in Izmir? And what about Izmir for women teachers?
Thanks. Elena Rolling Eyes
El Gordo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Elena!

No, I don't have any info on that particular language school but the words "good local salary" in an advertisement are always enough to put me off applying. "Why don't they state the exact figure?" I ask myself.

For a reasonable salary which will be guaranteed for the year I suggest you try K-12 schools or universities, rather than language schools.
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: English Academy Izmir Reply with quote

Hi Elena
The Academy is one of the better language schools in the city and offer a reasonable package including a flat either free or subsidsed,however like the other Dershanes they are not very selective about who they employ and if you have any teaching experience or qualifications and are serious about teaching and the word "professional " is something you can identify with then think about a k12 or university . On the other hand if the social and cultural aspect is more your bag and you like to mix with your work mates and students after hours down the Eko (a pub of sorts) most nights of the week than you will be in heaven . The boss is a well known or notorious character (you choose) by the name of Morgan Finnegan who although I have never met does not have a strong following on the popularity front I'm only going by what others have related ,if you meet his current DOS Francis she will no doubt tell you what a swell guy he is but don't mention my name she hates my guts but like so many things in life she has never tasted them . Good luck !! I mean that most sincerely .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: