Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cdn TESOL Teacher looking for Sept 2005 jobs in KW- help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigma18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Cdn TESOL Teacher looking for Sept 2005 jobs in KW- help? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help with any teaching positions for September 2005. I have a journalism background and a university degree, recently graduated with a TESOL certificate and license...currently l am tutoring visiting arab students in english.

Also l am 'on hold' with KAS - and as l read they have hired already..any suggestions on what l can do to get them to hire me.

If anyone can throw me a bone or help me land a job with their contacts l appreciate the help ALOT!
So...heLP Smile quickly Shocked thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what has been said on this board, be very thankful that KAS didn't hire you.

But with your credentials, you have very few options. Pretty much only the poor employers will make an offer. It is very late in the year. Even once one is hired in the Gulf, it often takes 2-3 or more months to get the paperwork cleared.

You may have better luck if you try some other countries outside of the Gulf. Just don't expect to make much more than survival wages.

VS
enigma18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right...although l have been hired in Amman for another job and the paperwork was done rather fast - l guess it depends on the company.
Given my experience, if KAS comes back with an offer shouldnt l cut my teeth there? At least l know going in what its like.
Japan has really good offers for Canadians and Indonesia came back with an offer that wasnt too shabby either.
I have personal reasons for wanting to by in ME.

Thanks for your reply, where are you by the way?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retired in the US after many years in the Gulf. Amman is not at all like the Gulf where paperwork is king and Kuwait is the most gawdawful bureaucratic mess I have ever dealt with. Laughing JMHO, of course. The company makes little or no difference, it is the system.

Nothing wrong with getting into the Middle East, but why Kuwait and why a marginal employer who will be dedicated to making your life difficult and miserable and pay you poorly at the same time? There is cutting your teeth and there is having them pulled out by the roots. Personally I can't see it as being professionally helpful either. Have you ever taught children? Kuwaiti kids can be a real handful... to put it mildly. They would devour a beginning teacher in hours.

Only if you are pretty desperate, I'd say... You'd be better off at a language school in Damascus or Alexandria or Rabat... (or Asia...)

VS
enigma18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there VS
its great to kick around options with you.
Yes, I'm currently teaching Saudi kids here on vacation...my lesson plans work well, they are spoiled but only when their parents are around so l make sure that's not an option. I'm used to presenting information and commanding attention so that's not a challenge.
Do you have contacts in any schools in the region?
I am professional and fair and l expect the sam, if not no big deal - l give notice and l move on. Its not the end of the world. The important lesson is to never give in and to stand by your principles and teaching ethics.
That's how l feel, sooner you find the right fit with a school who values the same mindset.

Everyone will tell you its tough but l'm not giving up just yet.
Thanks
E18
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my knowledge base is university level and I have no contacts in the K-12 area that can help you. You said that you have a 'license'... is that the Canadian certificate which allows you to teach K-12?

If so, I would look into the international schools in the system that the diplomats use for their kids. It is pretty competitive though because it pays well and they have actual standards of education and behavior. Cool Each major Gulf city has a couple of these - usually one American based and one British based curriculum. Then there are usually one or two private International schools that are making an effort to do a good job. And then there are a bunch that are purely in the business of making money... and it is all about keeping the kids and parents happy and paying. Their happiness is based on such things as no homework, no discipline, and everyone gets an A just because their tuition check clears. Which, by the way , also means that the teachers are paid a pittance, and their check may or may not clear.

The trouble seems to be finding out which are good and which are bad. All you can do is check around on places like this and hope someone has heard of them. Many of these places have few Western teachers, and they don't usually come on here to report.

Now you know everything that I do about K-12 teaching in the Gulf. Shocked There has been a bit of discussion on the board. In fact, what little I know, I have gleaned from people's postings. Have you tried a search of the various branches here?

VS
enigma18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by searchign the boards for the schools that diplomats use.
What are you doing now? Did you like living in ME and did you come back by choice?
I am licensed to teach ESL through my ESL certification.
Do you think l should stay put and work here for 6 months as an esl teacher and then reapply for ME or do you think l should take a post elsewhere ( which will most likely be for a year) - which will serve better in terms of getting hired?
Thanks again
E18
enigma18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by searchign the boards for the schools that diplomats use.
What are you doing now? Did you like living in ME and did you come back by choice?
I am licensed to teach ESL through my ESL certification.
Do you think l should stay put and work here for 6 months as an esl teacher and then reapply for ME or do you think l should take a post elsewhere ( which will most likely be for a year) - which will serve better in terms of getting hired? Waht were your qulifications? I was thinking of working my way up as a natural progression to university level asl get experience and more training...is that the way to do it?
Thanks again
E18
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma

At the top of the page is a search button. You can search the various Middle East boards here.

There are international schools and there are international schools... the best are the ones where the diplomats send their kids. But, you need certification to teach at them... and an ESL cert is not enough. You have to be certified to teach K-12 with a degree in Primary or Secondary Education through whatever system is used in Canada. (In the US, each state sets the standards for certification... you can not teach ESL unless you are also certified to teach... then you can add an ESL cert)

Personally I have an MA in TEFL and an ancient BA to teach Secondary School. I was only interested in university level teaching and I spent most of my 16 last working years in the Middle East and I enjoyed it. If you want to teach university level, I suggest you start working on an MA. All the decent high-paying jobs require it.

It is very late to get any kind of job in the Gulf now. New teachers will be starting to arrive in the next couple of weeks. You would probably be best off teaching for this academic year and start applying very early in 2006 for Sept, 2006 positions.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: