Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: 10 things ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think of London?
London is the best
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
is it just ok
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
London sucks
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Anne Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 things .... Reply with quote

Hi,

This is un-related to anything you see in the news.

My Romanian friend has recently moved to London and hates it ... "it
sucks..." he recently told me [again, this is ... read 1st sentence]

I have been a London-fan for more than a decade; so, I'm at a a loss:
I'm
not around [London} now- so I cannot be of help.
Now, I would need Londoners' help: please tell him what to do and
suggest let us say ... 10 things he may enjoy.

We don't need the tourist-guide-type-of-thing; more Time Out and a few
smart suggestions - for V--- and his girlfriend. Very Happy
Thanks.

anne stevens
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in London when I've been on my arse and I have lived in London when I've had a few bob- both times I have found it an exciting, fantastic place to be. Without wishing to be tiresome and quote Johnson, maybe your friend is just a boring county bumpkin upon whom big city life is wasted. Or perhaps people are mistaking him and his girlfriend for illegal immigrants- who knows?
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 3,

Tell them to try going out every day for 3 weeks, morning noon and night,

Week One:
Morning
The wholesale markets all round London.

Have a full English breakfast at 6:30 am in a cafe packed with the market workers and early morning people.

Week Two:
Afternoon
Coffee bars and cafes in Central, N<S<E<W< London Saturday and Sunday the restaurants in the expensive shops. have a coffee or tea in each and move on.

Week Three:
Evenings and nightlife, Theatres, pub and clubland. Get "Time Out" or the "Evening Standard" on Friday and check the clubs for free entry. A drink in each.

You can do all this alone , in a group with a friend or find one en route.
you don't even have to talk to people you can just sit there and see the world pass you by.

Go along to the Salvation Army after this and ask if you can be a voluteeer and help with the sandwich and soup distribution to the homeless on the 3am run.

it takes all kinds to fill a city.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate London. I have never lived there but just dont the feel of the place. Anyone else?
expatben

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, tend to agree with dmb...however I do have some suggestions-

Howsabout the touristy things like Big Ben, Tower of London ect.
A boat ride down the Thames is a nice way to see the city too.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand how people don't like London; the cost and size of the place can put people off doing anything. But...does your friend really know the place? There's so much to do and see. He should check out this site for info for stuff to do that costs nothing (including museums)

http://www.londonforfree.net

London's great (glad i live in Buenos Aires though).
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nothing to do with size mattheboy(dont they all say that Wink ) I live in Istanbul which is much bigger than London.. It's just the feel of the place. I find London unfriendly and cold. I guess I am just used to the Turkish hospitality.
emlaminack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,

Your earlier post was one of the best I've seen on this forum! It was well layed out and very informative with an exact plan of action, not just a bunch of "hot spots". I love the lesser-known areas of London and think your suggestion marvalous!

Its true London is not for everyone, just like the country is not for everyone but personally, I love that city and can't wait to get back.

Evelyn
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: what's wrong with London Reply with quote

I guess it's okay, having been there perhaps too many times. My wife, who lived there for ten years, is mad about it *so pretty much every summer I am convinced togo there one more time to visit her friends and do some shopping), but myself I prefer the English countryside or going to other countries in Europe.

Having said that, some fun things in London are;

going to the boot sales and some of the markets

visiting Portobello market and selling something there

going to a live house or pub with a band

hitting the jazz festival in the summer which features free jazz in the parks

touing the British Museum, The Tate Galleries, and some of the other free museums in London

trying some of the food in London, lots of good restaurants though you have to hunt to find some of the bargains

going to a beer or wine festival
Will.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Selling is not as easy as buying down Portobello. I used to sell at Camden, that was easier to sell, nicer crowd. good takeaways too.
I found my bargain restaurant a good few years ago
When I get an afternoon free it is off down to the West end for a �4.95, though I heard of one over in the market in Islington for �2.95 but that was a year ago, stuff yer face Chinese buffet, A coffee down in the crypt of St Martin's followed by a stroll and browse in the Flemish school section of the National Gallery then Foyles, with a friend, this last bit takes a little time..................you always want different books in different sections and get lost. Waterstones at least have comfy sofas now so you know where to find your friend after an hour or two.
It doesn't cost a fortune to have a good time in London. I guess some people expect too much of it. It took me many years to find little corners of london to call my own favourites and friends and visitors get the Will tour and love it, but not everyone has a Will to show 'em around
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobden called it THE GREAT WEN. He was right

(wen - swelling, carbuncle)

If I have tio go to a city I prefer Istanbul. But as a wrinkly I prefer the peace and quiet of the village.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: