Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why even bother with Cambodia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlic and basil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Why even bother with Cambodia? Reply with quote

It's one redeeming feature, which is over, was the pay for play scene. From what I hear now they are old ladies who've been at it for five years of more. Tell me why you stay? Gawd, are expats actually marrying Khmer or Viet girls? If I wanted to be monogamous I could have stayed in Canada!
Micro67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: An Amazing Place Reply with quote

Somewhere on this board or www.khmer440.com Khmerit has written an eloquent testimonial for Cambodia. I've visited several times and would love to spend more time there.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why I like Cambodia

by Khmerhit

Sorry to be a bore, however, someone has asked me in a private message (AND RHONDA ASKED IN A POST) to explain my obsession for this sad little country that I keep banging on about, the pathetic but intriguing parcel of land that sits way out on a limb of the Asian continent.

What, indeed, is so special about Cambodia?

Well, it's got it all--- it's got the heat, the skies, the rain and the dust of southeast asia.

Plus, it's got living history, exciting history, wacky history. It's got a king, a queen, a palace, a religion (a few religions)---all of them tenuously restored after being wiped off the map.

It's got something in the air, it's always on edge, forever simmering, perpetually on the boil...and it's indescribable, whatever it is.

It's got people who are eager to get back on their feet, but their proud and they'll do it anyway they can.

It's got people who laugh in their misery, instead of moaning at their prosperity like we do.

It's got different rules to yours and mine, a completely different sense of subjectivity, family, sometimes a different idea of right and wrong, left and right, up and down.

It's got amazing colours.

It's got interesting characters, and some very interesting expats.

It's got a devil-may-care philosophy, like the Wild West used to be--like Afghanistan, Iraq, like Hong Kong of old.

It's got jungle, forests, wild animals, fruit, flowers, ocean, mountains, temples, rivers, waterfalls, national parks, old cities, ruins, national festivals, tons of holidays..

Its got suffering.

It's got pain.

It's got death.

Above all, it's got life.

As someone once said, a bad day in Cambodia is better than any day in the West.

THUH END
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Khmerit, I'm going to post that in a few other places (linked to you of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: