Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American teaching in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: American teaching in Italy Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, and have been reading all the negative comments about non-EU folks teaching in Italy. I am hoping that under all the problems, there may be some hope!

I am an American with a profesional degree. I am looking for a career and lifestyle change, have Italian heritage, and want to teach English in Italy. I have teaching experience in the sciences from while I was in graduate school.

What are the first steps to take in making this dream a reality? Is it necessary to have CELTA or TEFL training? Or is it virtually impossible for non-EUs to get work?

To touch on a personal topic--can anyone coment on the salary potential? Is it possible to support oneself on a teacher's salary? I don't need to drive an Alfa Romeo, but would like to be able to pay rent, buy food, and pay for health insurnace.

Thank you in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Jeff
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Working in Italy Reply with quote

D a m n keyboard! As I was saying, your Italian heritage could be the key. A Chilean friend of mine qualified for an Italian passport because she had at least one Italian grandparent.
The CELTA or TEFL will be a big advantage.
Good luck!
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Grahamb

Thank you for your response. Sorry it has taken so long for me to answer, but I was out of town for awhile. Back now and trying to get caught up.

You mention an Italian passport. I have never heard of this. What is that? I have never heard that a passport is required to enter teh country, other than my American one. Can you help?

Thank you.
JN
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: passports Reply with quote

Graham was trying to explain that you could 'change' your nationality and 'become Italian' if you have at least one grandparent who was Italian.

You contact the Italian Embassy, go through the procedures to have Italian citizenship and then apply for an Italian passport based on your 'new' nationality.

Then you could travel to Italy and find employment using your Italian passport.

This would avoid all the problems associated with being American and trying to work in Europe.

You see, that nice blue document with 'American citizen' printed on the front is a disadvantage in Europe
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Rogan. My connection is through my great grandparents, so I am not sure that counts. Anything I've read only mentions grandparents. I will look into this. But the local Consulate, where all such transactions have to take place, has not been helpful at all when I've needed them, and is painfully slow when they do decide to help. a friend who is Italian but lives here took over 10 years to get citizenship for her kids.

But I will trust that they are basically good-natured, well-intended people who want to help. I will contact them and then do whatever I can to help the process happen.

Jeff
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Italian heritage Reply with quote

Hopefully you�ll get a quicker response than your friend!
It�d be interesting to see if the great-grandparent connection is enough to get you a passport. Let us know the result of your application.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Dual Citizenship Reply with quote

I called the Consulate in Chicago this week. They confirmed that connection through great grandparents is enough to obtain citizenship, provided the same requirements are met as for anyone else. In other words, for me, I should qualify because my grandpa was born before my great grandpa was naturalized.

I have spent all week driving all over the state getting records. I now have certidied copies of most of the documentts I need,, and may be able to get by with regular copies of the others, according to the Consul.

The bad news is that there is a 6 month waiting list to see the Chancellor for a citizenship meeting and review of the papers! Way too late for me, because my ticket is for 2 weeks from now....What am I going to do? Should I go anyway and hope someone will hire me after taking a CELTA class?

JN
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defer your trip if you can. No school can hire you legally as an American without work papers unless you've enrolled as a uni student somewhere. Then you'll be able to work 20 hours a week in order to support yourself while you study. (There's a thread on this - see what Lost in Paris has said.)

More importantly, it's not a great time to look for work. As of about mid-July, many schools close down for summer, to start up again in September. I think you'd be better off earning some money to keep you afloat for when you do come to Italy.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Work in Italy Reply with quote

Dear Teacher,

Thanks for the ideas. What about working illegally on a farm of some sort--something I wouldn't mind doing--this summer? A vineyard, or olive orchard...any ideas about that? Wishful thinking? Easy to do?

Jeff
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know - sorry!

From what I've read, there's a shortage of people willing to work on the land. It's hard labour, and not well paid. You might pick up bar work more easily, but I don't know anything about that, either...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: