Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is it like living in Muscat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
web fishing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-The fact that they are both good locations from which to travel
-There are lots of things to do here (if you know where to look)
-They are both very safe, comfortable and easy to live in
-They are both very cosmopolitan

What you mentioned Qatarchic is great too, but UAE and Qatar seem too superficial to my liking [the mountains in Oman are breathtaking]. But Wander makes a good point
Quote:
If you live somewhere like the U.A.E. or Oman first, you will be able to gain valuable insights from people who have lived in places like KSA!!!
I may heed to that advice.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only pointing out some other advantages to Qatar and the UAE! Embarassed

But Oman is DEFINITELY the most beautiful out of the three.....the choice is yours Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the breathtaking scenery, but you get to teach Omanis!!
denver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QatarChic wrote:
I was only pointing out some other advantages to Qatar and the UAE! Embarassed

But Oman is DEFINITELY the most beautiful out of the three.....the choice is yours Smile

Hiya folks

I am considering an offer I got in OMAN and the place just sounds wonderful.

Apparently it is very beautiful! I have been checking the scenery out and observing the satellite images of the mountains and the ocean with Google Earth software.

It looks like I will be able to save some money too. I don't drink alcohol and the practice is discouraged in the Arab world.

I would also like to learn Arabic. I have heard that Syria is one of the best places to learn because the Syrian dialect is very clear and also because Syria is cheap. Anyone know about Omani Arabic? Would Oman be a good place to learn?

What would be the best places to teach? UAE, Qatar, Oman? How about Saudi Arabia?

Kindly

Denver
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, Omani dialect is rather eccentric and full of Urdu and Swahili transfer words because of the long mix of cultures. It is certainly not the best place in the Arab World to learn Arabic. I have had Egyptian friends tell me that in the hinterlands of Oman they could barely understand a word spoken. In Muscat there are more educated people who could switch to Classical Arabic to facilitate understanding.

In all my years there, none of the other expats were studying Arabic, but I'm sure that it must be offered at some language schools and definitely the Muslim groups will have courses for learning to read the Quran.

The main drawback is that unlike places like Syria, Jordan, or Egypt, there is little chance to actually use it in the streets. If learning to speak Arabic is a major goal, none of the Gulf countries are very good choices. You actually don't deal with many Arabic speakers in a place like Muscat (or Dubai or Doha or Kuwait), commerce is in English - taxi drivers tend to speak Urdu - and with your students you are their rare English source.

As to your very general question on where to teach. I suggest that you take the time to read all over the various threads to see what people are saying. You can also find people whose credentials compare to yours and see what kind of places are making offers. If you do a little research, you can ask some more specific questions that people can answer. (note: do not just post the same question on every branch)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: