Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in wa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: teaching in wa Reply with quote

I'm a qualified primary school teacher from NSW, who plans to move to perth, WA next year. But I've spent the last 10 years teaching English in Japan. I have a post grad dip. in Linguistics/TESOL and would prefer to teach esl/efl to adult students. Is it possible to make a career out of efl/esl teaching in Perth? Since I've been out of elementary school teaching so long, I don't have the inclination to go back. Teaching other subjects like Maths, Art, Sport are not my cup of tea anymore. And I've lost touch with curriculum changes. Not keen on teaching Japanese either. Survival and concern over finances might persuade me to go back. I'm in a bit of a dilemma as some of you can imagine.
And what's it like teaching in the country areas of WA? Too remote?
I have a Japanese wife, who would much prefer to live in the city, to consider.
Thanks for any input and sorry if this question has been asked many times before.
Priscilla QOTD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the universities: Curtin, UWA, Murdoch, have a department (at Curtin it's ELICOS) that provides language training to overseas students. Perth is very popular at the moment as it's cheaper for overseas students to live than Sydney and Melb. There have been quite a few jobs I've seen on the web for private language schools too (ACE is one), which always seem to be employing (one wonders why?). Both the above may only offer casual/part time work until they work out if they really want/like you.

Also, the secondary schools have ESL classes to cater for migrants so it's not too bad if you get the "upper school" (Year 11-12's) but your quals might not allow you that transition. Most of the TAFE colleges offer ESL classes too.

If you went "bush" I'd suggest only a large regional centre: Geraldton, Albany, as country Oz is still very xenophobic and your wife would feel quite isolated. I have a couple of Japanese friends who have adapted to city life in Perth really well, but I wouldn't want to inflict small town Australia on them. Good Luck!
joseph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priscilla

Thanks very much. A very well-informed reply.
I'm not qualified to teach senior high so that one is eliminated.
I hope I can get into one of the ELICOS schools or ESL at TAFE. Plan to come in January 2006. Bad timing? I suppose I have to compete with all the backpackers (EFL certified) who are travelling and working in Australia.
Off topic, but salaries are really coming down in Japan. It really has reached saturation point with too many foreigners here wanting to teach English.

Thanks again
joseph
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

January should be when the school are figuringout what staff they need for the year. I got quite a bit of casual work by walking into all the schools in the city with my CV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: