Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question for all the DOSes out there...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: A question for all the DOSes out there... Reply with quote

I have a question for all the DOSes out there. I really enjoying teaching EFL, and I also see it as a way to travel the world. I’m young and I figure I”m up for the adventure.

My question: I want to know if moving from country to country will harm my chances of getting a job. I would like to teach for a year in one country, travel a bit and do the same in other countries.

Being young, I also want to travel and experience culture in ways that tourists can’t. But don’t get me wrong, I don’t see teaching as a way to fund travels. I see it as a career. I have a BA and a Diploma in TEFL and am applying for Master’s programmes. Eventually, I would like to go to Romania and open a school/home for the street children. It’s been something that I’ve been thinking about for five years now.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: go for it! Reply with quote

Hi naturegirl321:

"I want to know if moving from country to country will harm my chances of getting a job."

In a word, 'no'; moving from city to city and country to country is part and parcel of EFL. School managers and DOS's expect to see a variety of work experiences on the resume' of any serious EFL teacher.

What concerns me is when I see a resume' from which it's clear that the teacher in question left (or quit?) BEFORE his or her contract expired; eg: 6 months at this job, 4 months at this job, and so on.

Basically ... as long as you complete the agreed upon terms of any given contract ... and collect a few good references along the way, you shouldn't have to worry at all about your desire to move around and see the world.

We chatted before in a PM, right? Well, I wish you the best of luck (Mult noroc!) with your plans to visit Romania. I understand your roots and your dream. And ... if you love 'nature', as your handle suggests, you'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven when you finally get into the heart of the Carpathian mountains.

The street kids in Bucharest is another post for another time. Embarassed

La Revedere Exclamation
keNt

DOS - Linguamir
Samara, Russia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: